Saturday, February 13, 2016

Three Day Quote Challenge ....day one

I got nominated to participate in a 3 day quote challenge by Dakotas Den.  Three days, three quotes.

Thanks for nominating us!

I'm a teacher.

This is my 23rd year in the classroom, not including all the years I've spent as a student.  I think I've only been out of the school setting for 4 years of my ENTIRE life.  That's crazy.

Last week, I ran into a former student in the main office.  She's now 31.  My mom pointed out that that was the age I was when she was my student.  She has a 10 year old kid.  I think that makes me the kid's grandma.

As a special education teacher, I go into regular education classrooms to support the special education students and the teacher.  Over the years, this has given me the chance to work with dozens and dozens of teachers in all subject areas.  I've learned something from each teacher I've worked with, and am so indebted to many of them.  They shaped my teaching and inspired me.


Today, I will share two of my favorite quotes from two of those teachers.

The first quote came from a fantastic math teacher.   Not only did he inspire me with this quote, but he also gave me really useful tricks for figuring out word problems and translating systems of equations.  I can still hear him saying "money plus money equals money, and tickets plus tickets equals number of tickets."  Even though the curriculum has changed 3 times since I worked with him, I still use his tricks with my present students.

Not only was he a good teacher, but his classroom always had a really great vibe.



Here is his inspiring quote:
"Your students might not remember what you taught them, but they will remember how you made them feel."  

Really, this can apply to any situation, not just the classroom.   Shouldn't we always try and create an environment where everyone feels loved and respected?  I try my best everyday to make my students feel valued and important and loved.


Some days it is not so easy.

This leads me to my next quote from an English teacher on the verge of retirement.  In fact, I never really worked with her, I just used her classroom for one period a day in my very early years of teaching.
 "Be kindest to the student you like the least.  They'll end up being your favorite by the end of the year."

This is tough, tough advice....but I can hear that teacher in my head whenever I have a student who is not so easy to love.  One must always remember that we don't know what is really going on in someone's life.  They are probably acting a certain way for a reason.  A little bit of kindness can go a long way.  So, if someone isn't being nice to you, be nice to them anyway.

I run into that teacher at my farm stand every once in awhile.  Next time, I really should tell her how that one statement has shaped my teaching.

I will forever be grateful for all the teachers who gave me practical and useful and FREE advice.  I'm also indebted to the teachers I worked with who weren't so inspiring.  They taught me what doesn't work!  Which really is just as important.

As you can see in this old video, my teaching skills always need to be honed.

https://vimeo.com/14871211

back to school from Sara on Vimeo.

We're supposed to nominate three other people for the challenge.  But, I'll just open it up to anyone who wants to play.


8 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

As one of those quiet types of kids that loved learned but didn't relate well to other kids I always loved teachers who took the time to understand my thirst for knowledge and challenged me to learn more.

Priscilla Phang said...

A fantastic post, Sara!

Dawn said...

Caught a glimpse of Misty girl there. Both of them are so sweet. I have great respect for all teachers. I don't know how you do it, but what you do is so important.

Caren Gittleman said...

oh no! I can't get the video to play! What am I doing wrong? I shared your post with my husband who taught special ed in the inner city of detroit for 36 years....he LOVED this post (as did I!) He said he can tell you are "extremely bright" I agree!! DakotasDen

Sara said...

I don't know why the video isn't working for you...it's working on my end. Maybe its a browser problem?

Hats off to your husband for surviving 36 years! I'm sure he has lots of great stories to tell.

Helen said...

Good idea to do quotes from people you know, we probably learn a lot from friends and colleagues but often we over look the lesson.

Diana said...

My daughter is planning on going back to school this summer , so she can become an art teacher. Im so worried for her. Im scared she is going to hate it. School has changed a lot over the last couple of years. Right now she is a graphic designer. And she is good at it. (At least I think so, but I am her mother. LOL)

Ludo van Doggy said...

Your attitude is so inspiring. As I did a literary degree a number of my friends went into teaching and I think only one is still at it and enjoying it and he went into it after a gap.
I guess they probably needed a mentor who wasn't already dragged down by the pressures.