Tuesday, December 8, 2015

extra hour

Instead of teaching today, I went to a conference. Lucky me, we got out an hour early! I had planned on doing some errands on my way home, but the sunshine and extra time made me change my mine. I ran home, and threw the dogs in the car so we could take a nice hike before the sun went down (which it seems to do mighty quickly this time of year).

We were the only ones at the preserve (except for a state trooper sitting in his car in the parking lot, not sure what that was all about, but I gave him a wave and went on my way).
"Let's go mom!"
The dogs are wondering who is this strange person standing next to them?
"That person has REALLY long legs mom!"


We hadn't been to the preserve in months, so there was A LOT of sniffing to catch up on.   Since this was a bonus walk, and I wasn't worried about losing daylight, I let them sniff as much as they wanted.

There was a bit of mud in places, but no worries when you stick right next to your brother.
This bridge should look familiar!
Such a peaceful walk.  We stopped a few times just to LISTEN.  There were some interesting noises coming from the pond, but mostly pure silence.

Amazing how an unexpected hour of free time can change your whole day!

8 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

that little bridge looked just like the one we use to cross when we visited one of the parks in Arkansas - seems odd seeing all the brown leaves and twig trees - it is still so green here - in fact I had to mow the lawn today !

Priscilla Phang said...

The trail looks so remote, quiet and peaceful. The trees are quite bare but it's still lovely to see a little green here and there.

Floating World said...

I love looking at the pictures you send of your dogs. We have two dogs as well, border collies. I always wonder when you are out in the wild bush why the dogs are on leash instead of free with a recall, which I know from previous posts they possess.

David

Dawn said...

LOVE that you spent that free hour in the woods with your boys! And love that you now have a fall and a winter (albeit without snow)at the bridge. Now you need a spring and a summer. Does Oreo look up to Chewy as a "big" little brother?

Sara said...

David, if there is a sign that says "all dogs must be leashed", I follow the rules. Plus, Oreo is easily frightened, and I know it would be very hard to get him back if he was scared. Better safe than sorry. I would be heartbroken if I lost either dog.

Dawn, I think most times Oreo finds Chewy to be the spoiled younger brother!

Floating World said...

Hi Sara,

I totally understand. Your dogs are so cute.

Caren Gittleman said...

Fabulous and it is obvious the boys appreciated it too!
DakotasDen

Helen said...

We had great weather too but by the time I get home it's already dark. A quick walk around the park is about what my guys get. We're going to see Santa this weekend.