Saturday, December 5, 2015

dyken pond

This morning we went hiking at Dyken Pond with my dad.  Haven't been there in over 10 years or so. The trail map is quite extensive, but I wanted to try the boardwalk path because I had seen photos of the trail on someone else's blog.

The beginning of the trail was filled with evergreens and thick moss.  It felt like we were in the Adirondacks.

We quickly came upon our first "board walk".  More like walking on boards than a boardwalk!  It was a bit tricky in spots.
We had to maneuver ourselves over a very narrow patch of land across a swamp, more rickety boards, and then came upon this pretty little stream.

We saw this sign, and were a bit confused by it, since we didn't see a boardwalk around.
However, we did see the beaver activity!   Can you spot it?
We had some problem solving to do on the trail...such as over or under trees.  The dogs usually chose over, but Chewy wasn't so sure he wanted to find his own way down off this tree.

"I'll just wait here until I'm rescued, thank you."
We finally reached the long boardwalk I had seen in photos, but we weren't going to be able to cross it today.  Damn beavers.  Now the "beaver detour" made sense.
So we had to back track a bit.

Afterward, we drove down to the actual pond area.  We saw a sign that says you can rent a canoe there for a mere $10.

No one was around or on the pond.  It was very quiet.

But Oreo kept an eye out for people just in case.

The sign at the beginning of the trail said we might see bears, bobcats, porcupines, moose and fox.  We didn't see any of those, but we did see a pileated woodpecker.  They are always fun to spot.

We will have to go back and explore some of the other trails.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow! Is this near your house? For sure we want to come back to explore more. The couple of days we had last summer only showed us how beautiful it was and that we hadn't seen nearly enough!

Priscilla Phang said...

What an interesting walk! It looks tough to me as I never like muddy path but it looks beautiful too.

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

The industrial little beavers - pity the boardwalk was flooded but now you know where it is - it will be an awesome spring or summer walk

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

I think the Beavers are the ones collecting the $10 canoe fee. Those beavers probably are earning big holiday cash with that Beaver Detour!

Caren Gittleman said...

Bears and bobcats? That would have scared the hell out of me! I LOVE FORESTS!!!! Would love to see that same area when it is lush and green, I bet that is when you would see some of that wildlife.
As for the Beaver activity...I'll be "dammed!!" I think I spotted the pile?
DakotasDen