Sunday, May 24, 2015

five photos, day 4

Today, Jeff and I drove up to the summit of Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts.  It was only 23 miles from our house, but took us an hour to get there, due to dirt roads and the slow speed limit up the mountain.

We passed MANY bicyclists on the road to the summit.  I honestly don't know how they did it.  It was nine miles straight up. And I mean UP!

The views along the way were breathtaking!  Many famous writers (Hawthorne, Thoreau, and Melville) drew inspiration from this mountain, and I can see why.



Our destination was Bascom Lodge at the summit.

You can spend the night there, or simply have lunch, like us.
The food was better than expected and the view was perfect!

After lunch, we took a short walk to the summit overlook.
 This perspective on life makes you realize just how small you really are.


"It was such a country as we might see in dreams, with all the delights of paradise..." -Henry David Thoreau on this same view


It was quite chilly up there, and I can understand why this place isn't open until May.

At the highest peak is the veteran's war memorial, built in the 1930's.  It is 93 feet tall made from 8 ton pieces of granite.  Usually you can go inside, but it is closed this year for renovations.

The beacon at the top is always lighted to honor the state's dead and can be seen from 70 miles away.




There were lots of dogs everywhere.  It was very crowded today, so I was glad I didn't bring Oreo.  I think weekdays would be fine though.

This is the view from the tourist center at the bottom of the mountain, where I picked up an extensive trail map.

Will definitely have to come back in the Fall when the leaves are at their finest.

I think being in the mountains is my favorite place to be.

8 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow. How beautiful, and cool, and interesting all at once. Reminds me of a park we went to in Maine last summer...with a high mountain from which you could see for miles.

There are trails too? Wold be very nice to explore after the mosquito season!

Dawn said...

PS: That's a really artful photo of Jeff by the window. And PPS: I'm glad to be reading about your adventures in the blog!

Sara said...

Thanks Dawn! Jeff was a real trooper that day. He hurt his back in the morning, and was really suffering, but wanted to go anyway.

As for the mosquitoes, it hasn't rained here in over a month, so they're pretty much non-existent so far.

Caren Gittleman said...

I have never been to the mountains and would love to go sometime. Your photos were just wonderful!

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

we do tend to forget sometimes how big our world really is and it amazing when you find a spot like this to be reminded of the vastness of it - it looked like a wonderful spot and that memorial is so cool

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Pawsome post. Love the picture of you and Jeff!

The monument kinda reminded us of a golf ball on a tee. Maybe in some fairy tale, there would be giants roaming about on those mountains.

Diana said...

Wow, thats just beautiful!!. I really like the picture, in the restaurant, where your husband is off the the side of the fame. Nice , creative shot!!

Priscilla Phang said...

What a beautiful place! I really enjoy reading about your trip and the pictures are simply beautiful. Hope I'll have a chance to visit US one day and explore some of the wonderful places that you and other bloggers have been! That's my dream!