Wednesday, November 12, 2014

brainy joe

Every year, from September thru November, I have this hanging on my bulletin board:


I put it there in a lame attempt to inspire my kids to work hard to get their name up in 'lights' and earn a free ticket to the movies (two tickets if they make high honor roll).

With report card day coming up, some of my students started taking notice.

Here is how it went:

Student A: "Who's Joe Shmoe?"

Me: "It's Joe Shmoe from Idaho."

Student B: "Oh yea, isn't he the fat white guy on youtube who tries to rap?"

Me: "Uhhh..."

Student A: "Wait! He doesn't go to school here?"

Me: "It's Joe Shmoe from Idaho."

Student C: "Isn't he the flat footed kid that runs track?"

Student A:"So, he does go to school here.  I thought he was from Idaho."

Me: "He moved."

Student D: "I know him.  I think he's the Joe in my science class."

Student A: "How long has he come to school here?"

Me:" He's been here forever."

Student B: "So that fat white wannabe rapper must have a similar name."

Me:"I wouldn't know.  Do you want me to google him?"

Student A:"Is he always on the honor roll?"

Me: "Yup."

Student B:"I think I know who he is now."

Student C;"Me too.  He was in one of my classes. He's pretty smart."

At this point, I am laughing so hard tears are coming down my face.  Another teacher in the room and one of my seniors are hysterical too.

The best part....I think all of these kids are going to make the honor roll themselves tomorrow!  Usually, I take down Joe Shmoe's card once I get real people, but this time, I think he's staying.

7 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Joe Schmo, he must be the kid in the lunchroom who eats the potato chips on his potato bread sandwiches with a side order of potato wedges.

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

We agree with Lassie and Benji

Caren Gittleman said...

Hilarious!

Joan said...

Very Funny!

betty said...

You got to love those honor students! Pretty soon they will be asking you where in the world is Joe Shmoe? Aloha.

Dawn said...

Your kids are WONDERFUL

Diana said...

That's to funny!! I guess everyone thinks they know " Joe Schmo " .