Saturday, August 2, 2014

walk n' sniff

Friday morning was kinda wet out, but I checked the doppler and it looked clear, so off we went to the park.

We took a new path today, and came across this cool boardwalk, which went a lot further than I thought it would.  What is it about walking on wood planks that makes one happy?
Then, we came into a grassy hill area that was stunning. Everything was so green, and the sun was starting to come out.
I felt like I was in the opening credits of Little House on the Prairie.  Cue the music.....'Dah na na na, na na nanana....duhduhdananana.'

Oreo did great!  We didn't see anyone, which helped, but he started sniffing right away and didn't get nervous in the spot where he has in the past.  I didn't have to dole out any treats at all until we got back to the parking lot.
Of course, Chewy had a good time and kept dragging us down to the water.
We walked and sniffed for an hour.  Then, when we got home, the dogs went right back to bed!  Love that!

In the afternoon, I brought Oreo to a new behaviorist.  Our previous behaviorist is no longer practicing in our area, so we have to travel an hour and a half each way. Makes for a really long day.  I found a new one who has appointments every other friday locally. I thought it might be good to have some fresh perspective as well.  She suggested switching to a different medication.  We're going to make the change gradually over the next few days.   It'll be the third one we've tried, maybe this one will be the charm? I'll try anything to help out my scaredy boy.  If he doesn't do well with the new drug, we may up the strength of the one he's on currently.

None of us were scared of this cute little guy.  I see these in the woods at our house too. I think they're newts?


Happy Saturday everyone!

6 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

that was an awesome place to find for a walk - I am pretty sure we could spend hours and hours there....hope the new behaviorist helps sadly we don't have any such things around where we live.

Diana said...

Looks like a wonderful place to walk dogs!!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Leaping Lizards! (I know thats from Annie and not Little House, butt we couldnt resist.)

When u mentioned the Little House Opening credits- i imagined Benji stumbling like Carrie.

Caren Gittleman said...

the area you found to walk looks so magical! I LOVE walking on wood boards too!
Such a gorgeous area!

Lilli said...

What I love most about wood trails is the sound which they make when you are walking on them :D It clocks and creaks etc.

That's very cute lizard! I love those kind of little lizards. I was so happy when I found lizards from my dad's backyard. I hadn't hold one since elementary school so it was very wonderful feeling when I got one to stay in my hand :) Felt like a child again ^^

-Lilli-

Chris and Ricky said...

Hope it is working out well with the new meds and behaviorist. Love Oreo so much!

LHOTP - one of the best shows ever!