Thursday, July 10, 2014

angry birds

Over the past two years, we have had five sets of baby robins born in our yard. 14 little babies in all.

I have yet to see the babies fledge the nest.  Instead, I just look up in the nest one day, and they're gone.

Until yesterday........

I had rushed through dinner in an effort to get to agility class on time.  I wanted the dogs to go out and pee before we left, but since they knew we were going somewhere (how do they always know?), they were a little amped up (AKA barking their heads off) when I let them outside.

The moment I opened the door, not only was there barking going on, but now there were two angry birds screaming at me and swooping down right to my head!  I had to duck and cover.

It was my Hitchcock moment of a lifetime.

Oreo quickly realized this was not a safe situation, and ran back inside! Good boy.


I saw two little fluffy things scampering about on the ground, and realized the babies had just made their first flight!  And Chewy (whose favorite food is chicken) was chasing one.

The angry birds continued to scream and swoop.

I yelled at Chewy to come, but when there's wildlife around, he has 0% recall skills.

Chewy had chased one of the little birds right through the pickets of our fence. Chewy would NOT move his nose out of the pickets.

I had to run and scoop him up to bring him inside.  Thankfully, he is not a St. Bernard.

Even when we got inside, the angry birds were still screaming and swooping!

I "snuck" through the garage to see if I could find the baby who Chewy went after.  I wanted to make sure he was OK.

I found him, and he was fine.  Whew.
Needless to say, we were late for agility, and neither dog got to pee before getting in the car.  We made it to agility, but class was cut short due to torrential downpours.  I had contemplated skipping class because of the imposing weather threats, but thought we'd give it a go.  If I had decided to stay home, I would have missed all this! While it was totally chaotic and even a bit scary, it was amazing to see the robins' protective love for their babies.

Jeff said the angry parent birds finally calmed down about 10 minutes after we left.  Their babies safely out of our yard and in the dense cover of tall grass and weeds and old leaves.

Welcome to the world little robins!  Sorry your first steps out of the nest involved getting a bit too up close and personal with giants and furry monsters. May the rest of your lives be stress free!  Good luck with that whole flying thing.  Maybe someday you'll have your own babies here....but I suggest you do it outside of our fence line!


Saw these two babies this morning!

8 comments:

Sam said...

We don't get a lot of wildlife where we are - especially in the summer. I can only imagine the chaos those birds caused!

Monty and Harlow

Priscilla Phang said...

It seems your garden is always full of wildlife activities and I'm so envy as my frequent visitors are either squirrels or cats, well, sometimes, monkeys.
The tiny angry bird looks so cute and I love the deer, they are beautiful.

Caren Gittleman said...

oh this was great but now you have to watch out for ANGRY DEER parents!!! lol!
xoxo

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

My little swallows did the same thing - they would dive bomb every time we went outside and then one day the parents and babies were gone. Hopefully they will be back net year. Love the little bambies....would love to see something like that

Bailey said...

Great shots.

We have some domestic issues in our tree house. The birds have been known to get pretty nasty in there with each other. We wouldn't want them angry with us.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Gee and we thought shelties were the ultimate yappers-those angry Momma birds got us beat. We shared your story with Grandma, she got a good laugh at the Momma bird still complaining and throwing a fit ten whole minutes after the encounter.

houndstooth said...

I'm laughing because we had our own Hitchcock situation at our house a couple of weeks ago! I'm glad yours ended well and only lasted a short time. The angry birds at our house were mean little devils!

Lilli said...

I wish I had that much wildlife in my life too! :D But in the city it's quite impossible... expect occasional brown hares and city foxes, seagulls, ducks, squirrels and the usual little birds. Well, actually there is quite a bit of wildlife around me, I just don't conceive them as "wild"life :D