Tuesday, February 18, 2014

tricky t-day ~ in my shoes

Ever wanted to walk in someone else's shoes for a day?

How about have your dog walk in your shoes?  I've been working on this trick FOREVER.  Years really. For some reason, it just wasn't clicking with either dog.

Recently, I changed up the way I was shaping the way they put the shoes on, and suddenly, they started to make progress.

Surprisingly, Chewy picked up on it quicker than Oreo, and he's able to take real steps forward (as long as I'm luring him with a treat).    Oreo is close, but still needs to figure the coordination out.  It's hard for them to keep the shoes on their feet, and to keep the shoes from tipping to the side.

We still have a ways to go, but here is our progress so far.  Very proud of both boys for not giving up on this one.

http://youtu.be/43L9pzJWN-o




BTW, these aren't my real shoes.  I bought them on sale at Target in the kids section for $2.  I thought the smaller size would be easier for them.

The hardest part of this trick was teaching them to put the shoes on properly!  The walking part is way easier.

9 comments:

Lilli said...

That's cool trick!

-Lilli-

Helen said...

They are so smart! You are very patient. I can teach mine agility but haven't even managed to teach them to shake a paw.

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

That is so clever..hey maybe they can learn to wear snow shoes that would make going outside a lot easier :)

houndstooth said...

That is one of the cutest tricks I've ever seen! And I have never seen that one before. You have two very smart and coordinated boys!

Diana said...

Cute !!

Caren Gittleman said...

Too adorable!!!!! I have trouble walking in Crocs and they did better than me!

betty said...

Chewy tip-toeing in those shoes is so very cute. I love how he goes pigeon toed or all shy as if to say,"Look at Me." Oreo prefers to keep his paws on the ground. It is harder to walk in the shoes that way, but he will do it his way. Oreo and Chewy keep me in smiles. Aloha.

Chris and Ricky said...

Brilliant Sara! What a great trick! Congrats to you guys!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

The way Chewy was pointing the shoe, i thought he was ready fur ballet slippers.