Monday, January 27, 2014

mishmash monday

This week, my grocery store had a sign up reading "there is currently an organic egg shortage, we are doing everything we can to keep them in stock".   Not sure what is causing the shortage, we're not even close to Easter.  Maybe the chickens think it's simply too cold to lay eggs?

Luckily, one of my co-workers has chickens (wish I did). She brings in the eggs and sells them for $2 a dozen, which I think is a bargain for super fresh, free range eggs.

Sometimes the eggs are so big that the box won't even close all the way.

The eggs aren't squeaky clean on the outside like the ones you get in the store, which makes them highly intriguing to the dogs!  Investigations must take place, especially the rogue green egg.
I like to hard boil a few and add some to their dinner. They love it! What surprises do you add to your dog's bowl?

10 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Wow some of those eggs are huge! Are u sure there isnt an ostrich living at the chicken house? Lol

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

We always had chooks back home in Australia....there is just nothing better then fresh eggs and they always taste so much better then store bought ones. Lucky boys that they get some in their dinner

Cliff said...

Saturday was Tupper's tenth birthday so he and Miki got a sausage (doggie's type) in their breakfast. (Tupper is the one on the left)

cliff

Freda said...

Wonderful idea to add hard boiled eggs - great for the days I forget to get the extras for my Misty.

Greetings from Dalamory
www.freda.org.uk

Diana said...

Im a bad dog mom, I dont add anything. LOL

Dawn said...

Katie wants to come live with you. She doesn't get anything special in her dog dinner. :(

Collie222 said...

Uh oh! Now you've done it! The collies want to know why I have never hardboiled eggs, to add to their dinners!

We will have to try that soon!

Ludo van Doggy said...

We get a raw egg added to our raw meat about once a week but they doesn't look as yummy as those ones!
I seed Oreo's google eyes there!
~Lickies, Ludo

Caren Gittleman said...

I will have to try adding some hardboiled egg to dakota's dinner, never did that!
I have added carrots, broccoli, he eats anything!
As a special treat, (usually on his birthday) I make him hamburger for dinner!

betty said...

I am so envious. The eggs are beauties. We pay $5.00 for a doz of local eggs vs Mainland eggs. Oreo and Chewy are getting the best. Lucky boys!!! Aloha.