Friday, November 29, 2013

Polish Thanksgiving

Since we had turkey on Sunday, we had a Polish Thanksgiving this year ~ kielbasa, golumbki, pierogi, potato pancakes, asparagus, oh my.

OK, not sure if asparagus is Polish, but everything else counts.

Boy, I'm thankful my Polish ancestors left me with a legacy of such delicious food.  All day, I kept thinking, my house smells like Babci's.  Smells like that are as close as we can get to time traveling. Smells can bring you right back to being ten years old.

Years ago, when I got off the plane in Russia, everything smelled like borscht and vodka.  Never been to Poland, but I imagine it smelling like cabbage and kielbasa.

Jeff had to drive to the hood to get the kielbasa.  Believe me, this particular kielbasa is worth putting your life at risk. For his engagement in this risky kielbasa business, I'm declaring Jeff an honorary Pole.   What's a little drive by shooting when you can smell the garlic a mile away?

Every time I make pierogi I am amazed by the skills of my Nana.  Her pierogis always had the fanciest edges. I wish I had a photo to show you.  I wonder if anyone ever took a photo of her pierogis.   We should have!  

They looked kind of like this, but better!  Such a labor of love.  It was all about the presentation.  Went hand in hand with all the plates needing a doily.

My mom can do the fancy edge too.  Once(or probably twice) my mom made dozens of pierogi for me to sell as a fundraiser for my school's Russian club.  They all had the fancy edges.   Thanks mom. That was really amazing. I now understand how much time that must have taken!  They had blueberry filling and were big sellers at our school's homecoming carnival.   They were probably on a plate with a doily too.

Mom has shown me how to make the fancy edges, but I never even try.   I feel as though I've made a huge accomplishment when they simply stay sealed.  So, mine look like this.
Not pretty, but they taste pretty good.
golumbki
Finished off the meal with some Stock's pound cake (click the link for more about stock's), straight from my grandparents' neighborhood in Northeast Philly. Thanks Aunt Dot!

According to my Nana, Stock's pound cake has to be sliced VERY thin.  Sliver thin.  Not sure why, but that's how it has always been done in our family.  Nana said it tasted better that way.

I always feel as though I'm getting gypped on frosting with that thin slice, but I slice it thin anyway.












13 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

wow - that all looked so good....love when you can mix traditions and have an international thanksgiving :)

Caren Gittleman said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this post. I am originally from Cleveland, Ohio and there is a HUGE Polish population there. I used to love eating perogies (sp)! My ex husband was Hungarian (and I think maybe Polish too!) so I ate much of the same food that you ate when I was with him. The most delicious food ever! Detroit doesn't have an enormous Polish population (well there is one area but it isn't that close to where I live), so I lived vicariously through your wonderful post. I can smell the deliciousness from here!

Kathy said...

wow, that all looks so good, I love pirogues and wish I could make them.

Chris and Ricky said...

Looks so yummy! I think all of your blogging friends need to be invited next time! :)

betty said...

What a feast!
The tears are flowing and they won't stop. Many things that are daily become treasured memories. You are blessed and fill my soul with joy. Everything was delicious, especially your words and thoughts.
Aloha

Diana said...

Love Pierogis!!

Joan said...

Thanks for all the memories! I think the first, the best and biggest batch of potato pierogi I ever made was for Shaker's Russian Club. Enjoy the leftovers tonight. MOM :)

Sam said...

Oh my - that looks all delicious. I've tried making pierogi from a recipe I found on-line. They did not stay sealed - but still tasted good!

Monty and Harlow

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

We loved this post. Mommy is drooling. Your pyrohy pierogies look great. Mommy knows how hard it is to pinch them and u did a fantastic job. Too bad our churches only have volunteer pyrohy workers because if it was a paying job -- u probably could quit your day job. Oh well. Mommys niece is friends with one of the Stocks relatives. So cool. Their pound cake is fabulous. Oh and jeff risking his life in the hood to get kobasa is too funny. Mommy feels like that in port richmond in pa where she gets theirs. But u r right its worth it. Mommy only know 2 Polish saying and she always uses them at the kobasi place - Jinkuyou Bardzo thank u very much and Zhden Dobre have a nice day. I probably mispelled them, but u know what Mommy tried to say. Question - did u bake your pierogies or boil them. We always boil them. But sometimes when we reheat them we will fry it in a frying pan with butter and onion.

Sara said...

Port Richmond is where my parents grew up! I hear it's not the same place it used to be!

I boil the pierogis until they rise to the top, then pan fry them with onions. Yum!

Sara said...

where do you buy your kielbasa? I'm sure my parents know the place.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

The kielbasa place is called Krakus on Richmond by Allegany. We also buy a torte on special occasion at Marion's Bakery on Thompson and Allegany. YUM. The Bakery is by a Polish church. They make the best pompushky too. Now you got my Grandma Baba mom's mom drooling in the house too. She looked at all the pictures in the post too. Baba pinches the edges of her pierogies when she makes sauerkraut pierogies. So it looks like it has points on the edge like a picture of a sun starting to rise in the sky. So that's how you can tell plain potato pierogies from her sauerkraut pierogies.

babkaforacure said...

I would love to learn how to make the fancy edges...thanks, Sara!