Saturday, August 24, 2013

what my dog did

List of things Chewy did during his agility runs today:

  • went UNDER the tire (the first obstacle)
  • went around a jump (another first obstacle)
  • went around a few more jumps
  • saw people walking down a hill, so he ran away from me and started barking at them, like a watchdog, right in the middle of a jump sequence
  • went to the fence to sniff out the people & dogs
  • visited ring crew
  • did a dead stop on the teeter
  • missed a contact (maybe two)
  • missed an obstacle discrimination
  • had a perfect jumpers run, but was overtime due to fence visiting
  • refused to sit at the startline - all four runs
  • was one of THOSE beginner dogs that I used to laugh at
  • made me REALLY miss running my velcro dog
  • made me laugh
  • made me shake my head and roll my eyes
  • made me realize we have a lot of holes in our training
  • made me realize that maybe I should practice more than once every 6 weeks or so
  • looked cute no matter what he did
  • got meatballs at the end of each run, because he's cute and I'm a lousy, lazy trainer, who is asking my dog to do all sorts of strange things

Still a superstar!
What Oreo did:

  • barked in his crate when it was Chewy's turn to run!
  • did lots of tricks (even ROLL OVER!, several times) under the tent, where there were many people/dogs close by! without doing the counter terrorism perimeter check!
  • walked around the ENTIRE place without freezing or freaking out!
  • got lots of meatballs for being cute!
    Forever a superstar!

14 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

reminds of the baby from Dinosaurs - "gotta luv me" no matter what they do :) :) :)

houndstooth said...

Ha ha ha! At least they're both good for entertainment! I loved the visual of Chewy's run, with the dart off to bark at the crowd!

betty said...

Oreo and Chewy are oh, so cute, and you are, too. Aloha.

Derek the dog said...

It was a rough day for the 16" boys! At least you are not "one of those people" who get angry at their dogs! You are always encouraging to your dog. Let's see, we match you guys in that we smashed through a tire jump and my boy was distracted by who knows what and went to sniff around, knocked a bar, didn't hold a 2o2o contact somewhere, lost for several seconds inside a tunnel (really?)... but fun nonetheless. I think we are going to try your meatball recipe for next weekend.... Have a good day tomorrow if you guys are running! Hanna & Derek

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Sounds like a perfect day to us -- u got meatballs. Life doesnt get much better than that.

andrea said...

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

Diana said...

Dogs do crazy things in agility. Some of those things were just green dog things. Some were signs of stress ( dont think of stress in a negative way). There have probably been times when you have been stressed or nervous when entering the ring. I'm sure you did all the right things, keeping the runs fun and happy. He'll work through it.
And yay Oreo!!

Priscilla Phang said...

It sounds like a perfect day: the boys got a lot of meatballs and you had a great time with the two cutie pies.

Dawn said...

Does sound fun, but I'm sure it was stressful for you too. Chewy is and always will be his own dog! Good job OREO!!! Love you little guy!

Dawn said...

Read this to my husband...he laughed and said "But did they have FUN?"

Sara said...

Chewy didn't want to get in the car to go home, so, I'm pretty sure he had a good time. I think his favorite part was watching a border collie fetch toys in the pond.

Ludo van Doggy said...

Sounds a lot like Ludo's first show recently, he didn't go under anything but he refused a whole lot and left the ring to bark at the photographer.
Glad they had fun though. Yay Oreo!
~Lickies, Ludo

Chris and Ricky said...

Sounds like a perfect day for all involved! Chewy had a blast and so did Oreo! And I am so glad Oreo was brave enough to have a blast! :)

Caren Gittleman said...

Here ya go, this is what I'm talkin' about for BOTH of them!

"looked cute no matter what he did
got meatballs at the end of each run, because he's cute and I'm a lousy, lazy trainer, who is asking my dog to do all sorts of strange things"