Thursday, August 1, 2013

superstardom

Chewy did it!  He qualified for the DOCNA nationals!

Our first run was a bit sloppy.  It started with a tunnel, and a looming dogwalk on the exit.  He was supposed to take a jump, but the dogwalk was calling him.  Luckily, he came back to me just before his toe hit the dogwalk (an off course is an automatic elimination).  Then, he flew by the first set of 6 weave poles.  I was worried about the set of 12 poles coming up later, so I brought him back and got him thru the 6.  Then, during the 12 poles, he came to a stop after the 5th pole, gave me a heart attack, and then kept going and did all the poles.  Phew. He's never stopped before.  He either does them all or pops out and moves on. Maybe he saw a cute girl walking by?  Anyhoo, because of our weave pole bobbles, we ended up over time by 2 seconds, but since I had no other faults, we still Q'ed!  

Our second run was a bit smoother, but he popped out of the 12 poles. This time, I took the 10 faults (you're allowed 13 faults), and kept going, so as not to earn any time faults.  It was the right move. The only bobble we had was a flip from the dogwalk to a tunnel.  Chewy really wanted to head back up the dogwalk. That run we finished two seconds under and q'd again. 

When I did DOCNA with Oreo, we ran the "select" division, which allowed you to run 15% slower and 4 inches lower.  I always heard people talking about the DOCNA times being hard to beat, but never understood what they were talking about, because Oreo never went overtime, and he was slower than their dogs.

Now that I'm running the competition division, I get it!  

After both runs, Chewy got to go play in the big pond area, and I think that was his favorite part of the night.   
Despite his recent success, Chewy is not allowing superstardom go to his head.
Chewy says, "It was no big deal really.   My real talent is singing, er howling, but for some reason, there are no ribbons for that! Anyone want to start a howling competition?  I suggest we start tomorrow at 5:30AM. That is the preferred time to howl, dontcha think?  Usually if I howl at 5:30 I get to have an early breakfast.  Whoohoo!Whoever howls the longest and loudest wins! Who's entering?"

14 comments:

Lilli said...

Yay Chewy! Congratulations! :)

-Lilli-

Diana said...

Yay Chwey!! Howling at 5:30 am? Ugh!! Lol

houndstooth said...

We have a 5:30 howler, too! Ha ha ha!

Congratulations to both of you! I knew you could do it! :)

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Chewy chewy chewy !!!!!!!!!! You are a super hero. Way to go you did awesome. Hey maybe you can come and join me in tornado siren testing thursday and we can howl together :)

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Congratulations Chewy!!!! Sounds like you did pawsome at the course! I think you stopped during the weave to savor the moment of being a superstar!

We don't howl (yet). We only bark like mad at 5 am!

Caren Gittleman said...

Oh Chewy!! We are NOT one bit surprised at your amazing accomplishment!!! HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!
Oh and about the "howling contest?" Count me in pal! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Question for Sara, we missed the beginning of yesterdays BB tv show. Do they know America was mvp? Got confused on what they were talking about regarding mvp.

Dawn said...

I knew you'd have fun Chewy! OH! And Katie is right there with you in the howling contest. Do you stick your nose up in the air and sway back and forth too? PS: Congratulations on winning your ribbons!!

Helen said...

Yeah, Chewy! Beckett and Keltic like to have a howling go od time too.

Priscilla Phang said...

Yippee!!! Chewy, you're amazing! Big congratulations to you, Handsome!

betty said...

It is true! I saw the ribbons. Not that anyone doubted Sara and Chewy. Congratulations to a very sweet, handsome boy. We love you and Oreo, too. Aloha.

Derek the dog said...

I was searching for Doc a jumpers courses when I happened upon your blog. Last Tues was our first trial ever at Sugarbush. Was nice to see someone working so nicely with their dog. See you tomorrow night? Hanna and Derek the pit bull with funny ears

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Thanks! Yes, we'll be there!