Tuesday, August 6, 2013

sniff it or whack a mole?

The next step in our nosework class is to put the birch filled tin inside a plastic container with holes in the lid, and repeat the process we used with the tin.

Once they are going to the container regularly, you are to place the container on the floor and click for sniffing it.

Oreo ran into some difficulty with this step. He kept wanting to target the container with his paws, or even pick it up with his mouth! Oh boy, this dog has too many tricks up his sleeve.

So, I'm going to back track, to make sure Oreo understands that the name of the game is "sniff it", not "whack a mole" or "hold". I really think he doesn't understand why I am giving him something so easy to do. Maybe it will get better when we move on? It's as though he's thinking, "Sniff the box? Usually you want me to do something waaaaaay more complicated than that. It can't be just sniff the box. Let me try showing her other stuff."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUR87etP59Y

Finally, you place the container on the floor, and bring the dog in the room, and they should initiate the search/sniff right away. Chewy is progressing rapidly. Although he thinks the game is ~ come in the room, jump on the bed and THEN find the scent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUIiiMpH1w




Had to take Chewy to the vet last night. He was hacking, and then having a lot of trouble swallowing.  I was afraid he had something stuck in his throat.

Turns out he most likely ate a bee, which stung him on the way down.  His throat had a tender spot.  The doctor gave him a steroid injection, told me to give him some benadryl, keep his collar off, and gave me his cell phone number just in case.

About an hour after the shot, he started improving dramatically.  Whew.  

8 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

So glad to hear Chewy is doing okay - doggies are so resilient. Looks like the sniffing is progressing along great. Hey - when you finish - does it mean the boys will be able to find all the birch trees in your neighborhood :) :) :)

houndstooth said...

Swallowed a bee?! Good grief, Chewy!


Would giving Oreo some other behavior to alert with work? I know some dogs sit or give a bark alert. I'm sure he'll get it soon!

Dawn said...

I thought it was Oreo that ate a bee??

Sara said...

Nope, it was chewy

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Hope Chewy is ok from the bee sting!

Priscilla Phang said...

Your tricks just reminded me that I haven't done anything with Eva for a long time. I'm really hopeless lately :)

Hope Chewy feels better now.

Caren Gittleman said...

Oh my goodness stung by a bee in this throat? OMG the poor baby! I am hoping that Chewy is still feeling better today. That is so scary!
I think you are right about Oreo "expecting more", he's too smart for his own good.
I love how Chewy adds his own panache to all of his tricks!

Chris and Ricky said...

The nosework seems very fun! I think Ricky would do exactly what Oreo is doing. Targeting always got the treat before, right? They are both doing great though.

Crazy about the bee. Leave it to Chewy to swallow one. :) So glad he is ok!