Thursday, August 29, 2013

more meatballs

This week, I set up a portion of our standard runs, swapped the teeter for a tunnel.  DOCNA always does the same standard run twice, just in reverse.  So, I got to practice both runs without having to reset the course.

I tried them out with both dogs. More meatballs.

Despite not having done agility in months, Oreo sailed through - blind cross, front cross, rear cross, start line stay, serpentines all perfect!  He did do one off course tunnel, but I loved how he was charging toward it, so that wasn't a fault in my book.  He was a dog on a mission!

Chewy still struggled in many parts - broke his start line, went around the first jump, blew past me to go in a tunnel, balked at a rear cross, and practically got stepped on during an attempted blind cross.

My first thought - it was easy for Oreo, because he has more experience.

My second thought - it was easy for Oreo, because I've had more experience handling him.

Probably a combination of the two.

My conclusion - Chewy and I need to work together more often, with lots of rewards, so that we can figure each other out.   Plus, I need to simulate our trial startline at home, even go so far as to use a leash to bring him to the first obstacle, so he knows his job when we go in the ring.  That way we can start off on the right foot.


Maybe the turkeys will cooperate and walk by, so I can have some random distractions too!

We tried the sequence again the next day (even more meatballs), and it went much better for Chewy.  Practice does make a difference!

I set up numbers 3-10 (with a tunnel as #8), and did it in both directions, like we did at the trial.


Here's day two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPrr3P82lw

Oreo was perfect as usual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAh65adS-BM




11 comments:

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Practice practice....that is how Oreo got so good and will be how chewy does too.

Diana said...

Very nice!! Chewy isnt having tunnel suck, your front cross is way to late and he had no idea you were turning. He needs to know you are turning before he takes off for #2. (Sorry, I have this problem too) You probably need more of a lead out so you can get that front cross, or show more deceleration and some lateral movement, so he knows a turn is coming.

Sara said...

OH Diana, so much for me to learn!

Caren Gittleman said...

you are AMAZING! Your yard is a Sheltie paradise that is for sure!
I think with Chewy (even though I think he did great!) I think it is his personality. He is always in the "full speed ahead mode" He thinks fast, moves fast, is full of energy...I think it is his personality.
I think Oreo is the calmer of the two and being more shy I think he has an intense desire to please.
I think Chewy is cockier so maybe he sometimes doesn't concentrate as hard as Oreo?

Sara said...

Yes, you know my dogs well Caren!

Big Honey Dog (Honey the Great Dane) said...

That's such an interesting thought and good point - that it's not just the experience of the dog but also of the human handling the dog. You're so right! It reminds me of this time our dancing team back in NZ had a fun practice where we swapped dogs and I got given one of the top dogs in the team - this super fast, responsible Husky-cross - this dog could do anything! And I thought I'd have it easy coz I'm always frustrated at how slow Honey is...but you know what? It was amazing hwo difficult it was because although we knew each other well, me & this dog had never really worked together - and I didn't really know how to handle his "fastness" compared to Honey. It was a very interesting exercise. I was surprised to find at the end of it that i was actually very pleased to get my slow, plodding, low-drive Dane back - ha!ha~! You don't realise how well you & your own dog work together as a team until you try a stranger. :-)

Hsin-Yi

Big Honey Dog (Honey the Great Dane) said...

* sorry, that should have be "responsive Husky", not "responsible Husky"!! ;-)

houndstooth said...

I am sure that Chewy will get there, it will just take time! I know he's motivated and smart enough!

Dawn said...

Loved all of this! What a great backyard! And great dogs too!

Dawn said...

PS: LOVE the Oreo in the tunnel photo at the end.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

We finally got a chance to "ketchup" on some older posts. Loved the title of this post -- more meatballs. Aren't meatballs and ketchup good together? (LOL)