Monday, July 1, 2013

fortunes rocks beach

Not only did we have a private beach, but there was a huge public beach, Fortunes Rocks, within easy walking distance.


The first time I brought the dogs to the public beach, things didn't go so well.  It was a really warm day, so the beach had a bunch of people on it, even though it was early morning.  Chewy had to get his feet wet(which he was not happy about).  Then, a little girl kept yelling, "Can I pet your dog?  Can I pet your dog?  PLEASE.  JUST ONCE!"  Not a fan of children, Oreo panicked, even though I kept telling her "no".  Despite lots of treats, Oreo's body language was clearly telling me, "Let's get out of here!"

We quickly left, and went back to our private beach.

The view on the walk home wasn't so bad.  Low tide left a lot of rocks visible.


A few days later, it got colder and gloomier, so I ventured to the public beach again.  This time, we had the whole beach to ourselves!  Whew!  What a treat!

Oreo was still a little cautious, but he didn't panic, and was able to stop and sniff stuff.  We spent a long time on the beach.



We even saw Jeff and my dad ride by on their bikes....can you see them?
  They rode really far that day.

I'm glad we tried the beach again.  The beach is so dynamic with the tides and fickle Maine weather.  Luckily, the crowds change at different times too.  That way even scaredy dogs can have some beach time too.

8 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Im guessing the one riding the bike waving like crazy near a cliff of rocks is Jeff. And The one sensibly riding the bike with both hands on the handles must be your dad.

Diana said...

My dogs don't like kids either. Miley will tolerate it and look at me with the " well I did it, where's my cookie" look. Lol. Java no way. Glad you did get some time for yourselves on the beach.

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Definitely worth going back too - what a wonderful place - can almost smell the salt air :)

Caren Gittleman said...

Dakota is the same as Chewy, he isn't a big fan of getting his feet wet (those Shelties are VAIN aren't they? lol) and he is like Oreo in the sense that he isn't fond of children either. He will begrudgingly allow them to pet him but I think he doesn't like their sudden, awkward movements.
Your beach photos are completely beautiful!

Chris and Ricky said...

Awesome place! I like iffy weather days when everyone else stays in. :)

Dawn said...

This is just beautiful. Love the shot where the dogs are just in the lower left corner and the beach spreads out in front of them.

Helen said...

Looks like you had a nice time in Maine. We go to New Brunswick in August and hope to enjoy the beach too.

Nicki said...

It looks beautiful!