Monday, June 10, 2013

mishmash monday

Last weekend, we took the dogs hiking at a state park. It was really hot last weekend, and I thought, since the park is a dense forest and at a higher elevation, it would feel cool.

Not the case.

 Plus, the black flies were out. And mosquitoes.  

 We walked the "waterfall trail".
Kinda disappointing! It was more of a creek with a slight slope than a waterfall.

 All the photos came out pretty crappy.

 Chewy whined "I HATE HIKING", every time we came to areas where we had to step over small runoffs of water. I had to pick him up and carry him. Can't get his precious little toes wet.

I think the only one who didn't complain was Oreo.
We'll try the trail again in the Fall, when it's cooler and less buggy, and hopefully no little runoffs for Chewy to cross.
I'll have to wear some rubber boots too, or hope for a dry summer, because the trail continues behind me, across the creek.  Not enough visible rocks to try and balance my way across, especially when I would be carrying wimpy Chewy.  It was deeper than it looks in this photo.

On a positive note, the park ranger was super nice to us.  Since we only wanted to hike, and not use any of the other park facilities, he let us park in the staff area and waived the $7 entrance fee.  


9 comments:

Diana said...

Look beautiful to me. Sometimes I just have to stick my dogs in the water to cool them off. I also will use hot dogs for rewards.

Dawn said...

Now who would think that party animal Chewy wouldn't want to get his feet wet! Oreo, shy little Oreo, doesn't mind getting wet? Huh.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

The photos look great to us! That looked like a great adventure even though it was hot!

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

we agree - the photos were wonderful and I bet the boys had so much fun!

Priscilla Phang said...

Chewy, Eva can be your best friend as she doesn't like to get her precious little toes wet too!

The park looks really interesting and good for adventures.

Caren Gittleman said...

that was super nice of that ranger.
Chewy is like Dakota, he doesn't like getting his toes wet either.
We sure have "high maintenance" boys!

houndstooth said...

That hike would be very popular for us! Fortunately, Bunny and Morgan will both cross water with no problem. I hope you do get to go back when it's more enjoyable weather!

You mentioned Route 66 today. It starts in Chicago and runs through Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and ends in California. There are A LOT of really neat things to see along the way!

Helen said...

You all look pretty happy even Chewy, couldn't have hated hiking that much. He would not have liked our Regional Championship venue then as with all the rain we had Thursday and Friday the grounds were really wet and muddy.

Ninette said...

LOL @ Chewy - my old boy Baloo is a bit like that, hating getting his paws wet