Friday, May 31, 2013

rocky or roberta?

Yesterday morning, I went out with my camera to see if I could spot "Rocky".

Can you see him?


How about now?

Hmmmmm, I think this might be "Roberta" not "Rocky" raccoon.  Do you see an extra little nose?


Mama saw me getting closer, and pushed the baby's head down with her paw.



After work, I grabbed my camera and crept slowly to the tree in hopes of spotting the baby again.

Instead, I saw this!

I guess it got a little too hot in the knot, or perhaps mama was simply in need of a break.  She was out there like this for hours!

You can tell from this photo that she's a nursing mama!  And hey ~she grew her tail back!

After dinner, I went back to check on her.

And saw this:
And then this!  I think this is the baby!
 These are a bit blurry, because they were very active and I had low light to deal with, but you can see the two little faces.





Funny, if I had never seen her hanging out of the tree like Winnie the Pooh looking for honey, I never would've noticed her at all!  She really camouflages herself well, plus she's really high up.

This tree is outside our fence line, so no worries about run ins with the dogs.
"Instead of taking photos, what do you say you put a hammock up here for me?"


15 comments:

houndstooth said...

Oh my gosh! That is just unbelievably cute! I hope she does get a hammock, poor thing!

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

That is so awesome! I am totally jealous of your property. How fun!

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

That is just the darn cutest seeing her just chilling out on the branch like that. Then to have that little baby face peeking out....wow!

Lilli said...

They are so cute! What a lovely neighbour! :)

-Lilli-

Diana said...

Lol, that poor mom. " those damn kids are driving me crazy." Great pictures!!!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

I think the caption on the photo with Mama Racoon hanging on the tree branch should be... TGIF !!!

Caren Gittleman said...

thank goodness it is outside of your fence line because raccoon are SUPER SUPER MEAN!!
She is a cute though!

betty said...

Your neighbors and tenents are making it a very lively spring. So much beauty and color and life - what a celebration! Aloha.

Chris and Ricky said...

Very cute! We had baby raccons in our neighbor's tree a few years ago. Fun to watch when they get old enough to climb down at dusk. BTW they can climb fences.

Dawn said...

They will be under the feeder foraging for seed soon! Don't let the dogs out at night until you make sure they aren't in the yard. They are cute though!

Helen said...

Wow, you have quite a zoo in your neck of the woods.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

I think i figured out a name for baby racoon-- rockette.

Priscilla Phang said...

I'm so jealous! Your yard is so beautiful and wonderful and that mama racoon is so cute!

Now I wish I could see some cute racoons in my backyard but it will never happen here at all; it's just way too hot for them.

Priscilla Phang said...

I'm so jealous! Your yard is so beautiful and wonderful and that mama racoon is so cute!

Now I wish I could see some cute racoons in my backyard but it will never happen here at all; it's just way too hot for them.

Nicki said...

So cute! The only wildlife at our house is a dead rabbit the barn cats got.