Thursday, May 30, 2013

exploded tree & a bear

The other day Jeff was gazing out the window and said, "Look at that tree!  It looks like it exploded!"

It did.  There were pieces of splintered wood everywhere.

My explanation was an old fallen tree got stepped on by a deer who crushed the log into a bunch of pieces.

Of course, I was wrong.

I was also wrong about seeing a bear trying to climb into the knot of a tree.  Jeff assured me that a bear couldn't fit in that hole, even if it was a BABY bear.

I wasn't convinced.  I saw 2 little black legs flailing out of that knot - no visible tail.  What else could it be?  I've read Winnie the Pooh, and he got stuck in tree knots (and many other places) trying to get honey.
Clearly, it was a baby bear.

Jeff said, "Well, then, where is its mamma?"

I said, "I don't know.  I ran in the house as soon as I saw it was a bear!"  Duh.

Alas, I was wrong.

Found out the truth a few days later when I looked up and saw raccoon eyes peeking at me from inside the knot.

Obviously, it is some sort of freakish TAILLESS raccoon.  Right?

Then, I remembered that one of Oreo & Chewy's favorite toys is this!


We've been playing with his tail for YEARS!  I better watch my back.

Oh well, the little critter has made quite the storybook home for itself.  Hopefully he forgives me.

Anyhoo, back to the exploded tree.

Last night, right before snack time, Jeff saw a big bird in our side yard.  He thought it was a turkey.

This time, I knew what it was!  A pileated woodpecker.  Pecking away at that shattered log.  We had found our culprit.

He/she is pretty darn cool, but boy he can sure make a mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VmrqcsfMOw


11 comments:

betty said...

Sara, that is amazing. I am speechless! He won't fell the tree, will he?????? Aloha.

Diana said...

Wow, how did you get so close? Very neat!.

At least is was an animal in the tree. I usually see something, and it turns out to be another tree in a weird shape or a bump on the tree. LOL

Sara said...

Aunt Bettym
The tree was already on the ground. He seems to be attacking the stumps and fallen logs.

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Wow = he was really working that tree......gosh how sharp must their beaks be! I think winnie the pooh living in the tree sounded much cuter :)

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

All I could focus on in the woodpecker video was...

The sounds of a something delicious being warmed up in the microwave.

What was Jeff cooking in the microwave? Whatever it was it sounded like Oreo & Chewy really wanted a taste of it.

Sara said...

popcorn was a cookin' - one of their favorites (and mine)

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Yum. Popcorn. I knew it was something delicious.

Dawn said...

Amazing! Pileated woodpeckers are so shy, it's really unusual that he let you film him! So cool!!!!

I haven't watched it with sound yet...cause a certain sheltie who shall remain nameless won't let me. I have to wait till she's outside. She is so spoiled!

Bet you have baby raccoons soon. Will be cute, but they are trouble! Don't let the dogs mess with mama...they are strong and can be aggressive especially with young uns near.

Chris and Ricky said...

That is sooooooo cool! I have seen the huge feeding holes they make but I have never seen them actually making it!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Hi Oreo & Chewie,

Our overseas visitors left this morning so we're FINALLY starting to catch up!!! :-) Looks like you've been keeping busy - OMG, you always get the coolest animal visitors!! A racoon??!! That is exciting! And we loved the photos of the baby birds! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Priscilla Phang said...

Oh I just realised Eva has a toy racoon too! LOL!

You do have some special visitors on and off, how lucky!