Saturday, February 2, 2013

saturday spinning

OK, it seems as if we've spent a whole month on spinning tricks.  I must say, I'm a bit dizzy.

This week's trick was "grab bag".  I decided to teach the dogs to spin on a perch.  This one was pretty easy for Oreo, since he has had lots of practice spinning on his peanut physio ball.  Chewy had some trouble making the complete turn without falling off, but he got it in the end.

Chewy is also getting close to being able to do a  verbal only cue on spin left ~ his unnatural turning direction.  I'm pretty proud of him for that.  I think it must be like forcing a right handed person to write with their left hand; they can do it, but it feels wrong.

http://youtu.be/4fyCVbn9B6A
I know Chris is going to ask, where is the video of ME spinning on the perch.  I was going to try, but was afraid I'd break the box!  Believe me, I spent many years spinning on the 4inch balance beam, I know I could do it (with some practice).

12 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Haha! I had actually forgotten you were supposed to be doing the spinning, Sara! Thanks for reminding me. I am sure you would be amazing but I thoroughly enjoyed Chewy and Oreo's performance!

Do you have some video of doing gymnastics as a kid that you would want to share some time? I would love to see you!

Sara said...

Did we have video when back then? I'm pretty sure there is no video footage.

I might be able to find a photo to scan.

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

he learned it pretty fast - I am still working with denny - he spins all the time - just not on command :)

Sam said...

Cute video. Both of your boys are such willing little participants.

I know what you mean about spinning in the non-dominant direction. Spin for Marge is clockwise, and it's always much easier for her than Twirl, which is counterclockwise.

Priscilla Phang said...

Haha, very cute video of Oreo and Chewy!

Eva spins crazily when the postman comes or something she thinks exciting coming towards her territory.

Pippa Sheltie said...

I wish I was as talented as your doggies!
Oreo is such a pro, and Chewy is doing great too!
Have a great day!
Pip :D

Diana said...

Smart doggies!!!

Mollie said...

Wish I could do that :) Youz so clever and what beautiful doggie'z you are :) xx00xx

Mollie and Alfie

Ludo van Doggy said...

Clever doggies. Good one to try! Poor Chewy almost got sabotaged on his turn. Lol!
~Lickies, Ludo

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

YAY!! Great job!

Dawn said...

I remember Oreo doing circles around the coffee table while you worked with Misty. I think it's amazing you can work with one while the other waits.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Mommy says the best part of the trick is having Oreo wait patiently and sit and stay while Chewy is spinning. Oreo's sit and stay should have earned him a whole bag of treats!!!!