Wednesday, February 20, 2013

an odorous situation

Last Friday before school, I was walking the dogs through the woods when I saw a little critter walking ahead of us.  A critter who looked a lot like a skunk.

Friday was the day of my classroom observation.  An observation that had been rescheduled twice due to snow days.  All I could think was...I'm going to have to reschedule again, because I'm gonna get sprayed by a skunk.  Who would believe that?

I kept a good distance, and nervously (OK, I was freaking out) made my way home, unscathed.

Then, the past two mornings when I let the dogs out, the skunk has been walking our fence line.  This morning, Chewy was within 10 feet of him, and following the skunk's every move!


Flower was moseying along without a care in the world.

Really? The mad, barking, lunatic dog doesn't scare you, or at least pick up your step a little?

Oh yes, Flower knows that only dogs are dumb enough to try and get close to him.

According to Wikipedia, all other species know better ~"Most predatory animals of the Americas, such as wolvesfoxes and badgers, seldom attack skunks, presumably out of fear of being sprayed. The exceptions are dogs, reckless predators whose attacks fail once they are sprayed".

Reckless.  Yup.

I was screaming my head off, rattling the treat jar, running back and forth (without shoes!), trying everything to get Chewy away from the fence (while still keep myself a mile away from the skunk).

Apparently, in the past two days, Chewy has gone deaf, and can no longer hear me.

What was I thinking, getting him the "skunk" chase it toy?????  Nothing like teaching your dog to chase a skunk on a rope, and grab its tail!  Brilliant Sara.



I read that skunks do not spray other skunks, so I am not worried about Oreo, who is practically a relative.

I am worried about the reckless, deaf one.

If it weren't for our fence, I know my wild one would be living in our garage right now.

Time to prepare for the worst.

Everything I know about skunk odor removal I learned from The Brady Bunch. Not necessarily a good source.

My vet gave me a skunk bath recipe.  I went out and purchased plenty of ingredients.

I thought I'd share it, in case any of you are ever in need of removing noxious fumes from you beloved reckless predator:

SKUNK BATH RECIPE
-2 TBLS Dawn dish soap
-1/2 cup baking soda
-2 bottles of peroxide

Let sit 10 minutes before rinsing out. (Hopefully that doesn't mean the reckless one has to sit for ten minutes, because that isn't happening).

Hopefully I never have to use it.


13 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Mommy has been misreading stuff on blogs lately. She is tired and just not sleeping well. Anyway she thought the receipe said 2 lbs of soap. Mommy was like there is gonna be a soap shortage in NY because of chewy. I made mommy re-read the receipe and it made more sense the second time. Lol. Anyway mommy remembers Oskar the dog had an encounter with a skunk and the mom used a shampoo type of product and it worked great. It was called green clean deskunk coat cleaner. Here is the blog link if mommy copied it right. http://petblogsunited.blogspot.com/2012/08/cleangreen-de-skunk-coat-cleaner-review.html?m=1

Dawn said...

Oh I could tell you stories...in fact I think I did once upon a time tell you a story of Bonnie the sheltie and the skunk. She got sprayed 3 times. Lots and lots of fun...yes indeedy. Katie is not EVER running out in the yard loose at night. Not E.V.E.R. Guaranteed. :)

Kim said...

Oh this is too funny ;) And that's because both my dog AND me have been sprayed by a skunk in our yard. Sadly, no recipe for the oil's skunks produce is prefect, but the certainly help with the initial stink of it all! I REALLY hope you don't have to use it...my pup and I smelled gross for weeks ;)

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Paws crossed that it doesn't happen. Have only smelt a skunk when I have driven by a squished one on the road and that is bad enough - I can even imagine how bad a 'fresh' spray must be.....be good Chewy - be good and leave Mr Pepe alone!

Helen said...

Hope the deaf, reckless one gets a little sense. Beckett has skunk toys too, maybe I've made the same mistake.

Priscilla Phang said...

Oh Sara, now I'm really happy that I only get monkeys in my yard.

Skunks... YUK!!!

Hope nothing happens to the daredevil and the bath ingredients won't be touched.

Paws and fingers crossed!

houndstooth said...

That's the recipe I have, too!

When I was in high school, I showed my Australian Shepherd in obedience class. Late in the fall, my sister and I were out riding with the dogs and we saw a skunk, at about the same time that the dogs did. I called my dog and she came back, but my sister's dog totally blew her off. She stank for a very long time! lol

Chris and Ricky said...

Why is it that dogs go deaf at the most crucial times? I hope you are somehow able to spare Chewy from life in the garage!

Thanks for the recipe!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing that recipe because we get skunks here quite frequently.
Thank goodness you didn't have to use it!
I laughed and laughed about the "reckless deaf one" because I have one of those here too!
And Oreo being related to the skunk? Too funny!
xoxoxo

Diana said...

I hope the deaf one's hearing comes back soon. Lol. When I was a kid my friends dog went after a porqupine ( sorry thats mispelled ). Man was that bad. Quills all in that dogs face.

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

Remember the year Meeka got skunked in our yard 3! times!?! Yes 3! Add in Tea Tree Oil to your recipe and you have a winner. I even almost got skunked that year. YUCK!

betty said...

Before the guys get "skunked," I hope Oreo and Chewy pee along the fence, so that "flower" runs away and never comes back. I thought skunks were nocturnal. Aloha.

Nicki said...

We've only has one skunk experience-Zodiac got it a few summers ago. I as out of town, jerry didn't know what to do so he locked the dog out of the bedroom and decided to call me in the morning about it. So the skunked up dog probably slept on my cough all night! It took a lot of baths but we got him tolerable pretty soon. But it was months before he stopped smelling faintly of skunk when he was wet.