Thursday, January 17, 2013

tricky t-day

This week we've been working on spins.  I had a surprise snow day yesterday, which gave me time to video.

Oreo already knew spin left/spin right with a hand cue.  I decided to try and teach him how to do it with a verbal cue only.  Oreo relies more on my body language than words.  I think all he hears me say is "blah, blah, blah".

It took us two training sessions to get 'spin left' on a verbal cue.  It was so exciting when his brain clicked and he got it!  Makes me want to go back and retrain every trick he knows with verbal cues only.

Oreo can now go both directions on verbal cue ~ "spin" is counterclockwise, "twirl" is clockwise.  Isn't he brilliant?  Mr. Smartypants.

oreospins
Chewy is a maniacal spinner in everyday life, and he always spins clockwise.  Every time I bring him to the chiropractor, his neck is stuck in the "turn right" position.  Teaching him to go left is tough, but I think it will be good for his neck if I can get him to do it a few times a day.  Might help us with agility too, because he will not turn left after a jump, instead he spins right and often backjumps.

In this video Chewy is twirling (right) on verbal cue only, and spinning counterclockwise with a strong hand cue.
chewyspins


And here is my first attempt at some double dog twirling (with this duo anyway, I think I did this with Oreo & Misty)  Oreo was doing it on the verbal cue, but Chewy either didn't generalize with me standing up or by adding a partner. We'll keep working on it.
doubledogspin

14 comments:

Diana said...

Miley is a big spinner too. She spins to the left.
Great job!!
Happy Snow Day!

Priscilla Phang said...

Lovely videos! The two boys do spin very well and they are so cute. I guess they can do some synchronized spinnings very soon.

Oreo is definitely a very smart boy!

Chris and Ricky said...

Tricks on verbal command only are cool! Oreo is a pro and Chewy soon will be! Glad you had a fun snow day!

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Add Denny to the list of manical spinners - he goes crazy when ever I put a new trash bag in the can!!! The boys both did so well - they are such clever boys. Still working with Denny - on this one.

Sophie said...

Very cool! Love the double dog spins especially :)

houndstooth said...

I love it! The double dog spins make me think that they might be able to start a circus act one day. :)

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

Fantastic job!! Dakota is a maniacal "spinner" in everyday life too..do you think that that is unique to Shelties?

andrea said...

Super star!! You and them!

Pippa Sheltie said...

Oh, that is ace! One day, Oreo and Chewy can be dance partners! I only understand English if a clicker is present, other wise I can only do sign-language! I don't know as much as you do!
Pip :)

Helen said...

Love the double dog twirls!! The guys are so cute. Beckett's my spinner, Keltic not so much.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

The boys did great with the double dog twirl. For some reason I keep thinking the word "Swirl" instead of "Twirl" I guess Mommy kinda is in the mood for an icecream cone.

Ludo van Doggy said...

Oh, we so need to work on this too. I doesn't listen to the words, just the actions on most things. TNP casnot quite get the hang of saying the right word so I now has two words for the same thing, but luckily he uses the same hand cues as he sees Mum doing. Chewy sure likes to spin!

Dawn said...

Chewy is just so enthusiastic. I think he gets the twirl thing..just thinks that sometimes it's Oreo's turn and sometimes it's his turn... :)

Freda said...

It's a while since I have dropped by. Their twirls really made my day. Every Blessing. Freda from Dalamory www.freda.org.uk