Saturday, January 12, 2013

tricky s-day?

OK, wrong day of the week, but it has been sooooooooooooooo long since I posted any trick videos!  I couldn't wait until TUESDAY to post these.

A friend of mine started a trick training group on facebook, and the first goal for this year was to teach your dog to "shake".

Chewy refuses to shake like a normal dog. He prefers a fancy handshake, like the teenage boys do ~ you know, when they have to do a bunch of funny things with their fingers before they actually shake.  The boys at school have tried to teach me how to do it, but I goof it up every time.

Here is Chewy's "shake":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMOZ_A409BM


Of course, Oreo already knows shake.  So, I am teaching him to put his left paw on a book, and raise his right paw, as if he's taking the oath of office. I got this idea from my Aunt Betty.  She emailed me some funny dog photos, and one photo had a dog with his foot on the bible, while raising his paw, confessing to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

We still need to work on duration and fading my hand cue, but we're getting there.  The hard part is keeping the book steady!  Oreo is very patient with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XIza9WDCw

13 comments:

Helen said...

Very cute!!! Boy am I lazy, the only tricks my guys know is agility.

andrea said...

SO CUTE ... Yen loves your voice - she wants to move to your house and learn cool tricks - I told her I'd have to paint her sheltie colours- she's ok with that!

Chris and Ricky said...

Chewy cracks me up! I love that trick idea for Oreo - he is doing great! Then you can add a bark for the answer to the "tell the truth" question.

Diana said...

Well done. I would have to put dogs away and do one at a time. They just get to excited when trying to wait there turn and then the one working starts acting crazy and not focusing on the job and just giving a bunch of behaviors. LOL Your dogs did great!!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

Those are sooo adorable! Oreo is completely amazing!! Loved these!

Dawn said...

I love your guys. They are both so cute! I still can't watch with the sound on though...Katie gets so jealous.

Chewy is SO enthusiastic! He just goes through life in high definition doesn't he! And I love love love Oreo..he's just a sweet dog.

Fun to see them working!

Sophie said...

Oh man, that is just TOO cute. I love how excited you sound when Oreo first gets it - I sound just as hyper when Lola does something well!

houndstooth said...

They are both so darned cute! That will be one fantastic trick when he perfects it!

Pippa Sheltie said...

Clever boys!
I am a bit like Chewy, I do it the long way!
Pip :)

Ludo van Doggy said...

Chewy, I like to throw extra things in there too.
We is learning a proper retrieve in class with a professional finish. Only I kinda shake my head and give my Mum my paw at the same time.

Oreo's trick looks like a great idea. I trust him a lot more he can swear on a bible too!
~lickies, Ludo

corbinwooten said...

Really awesome tricks! Inspiring!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Loved the Tricky S-day videos!!! We are behind in reading blogs, it was a busy weekend -- it's Tuesday today when watched the video -- so, it still counts as tricky T-Day in our books!

What can I say -- Chewy and Oreo are so talented.

I am surprised Oreo still did the trick standing up. I thought you would have to sit down to do it -- but Oreo proved us wrong. Congratuations Oreo! Now, next time Grandma blames us for something that the Aliens destroyed in our house -- we can count on Oreo to be a witness -- he can take an oath in court -- and he can tell the judge what fine Sheltie citizens we are!

akgphoto said...

chewy is like Luna with shake... If I offer my hand lower she will shake much more politely. If I have it higher more face height she wants to high five (smack) instead. I have yet to be able to teach wyatt to shake, he doesn't paw things typically so it's hard. Luna uses her paws like hands so for her it was easy. I may have to find a group like that, would motivate me with their tricks more.
Anna
www.akginspiration.com