Monday, September 17, 2012

big black dog

Yesterday morning, Jeff said, "What's that dog doing in our yard?"

I looked out and saw a big, black dog standing on our front lawn. I thought it was a nearby neighbor's dog. Jeff went outside and the dog took off.  Didn't give it much thought. I figured the dog would find his way home.

Many hours later, Chewy was barking his head off.  Chewy only barks like that when there is something major going on, like a deer walking around.

Chewy wouldn't stop barking, and I had to go investigate.

It was the big black dog again.  I got the dogs in the house and sent Jeff outside with some treats.  The dog was wearing a collar.  I figured if we could grab him, we could call the owner.

No luck.  The dog was very skittish.  Plus, every time my dogs barked, he ran away.

I decided to call the dog warden who told me, "I think I know who the owner is, let me call him."

A minute later, I get a call from a man looking for his dog.  I described the dog, and I could hear the elation in his voice.  He told someone, "They've got him!"

Uh, not really dude.

He said, "I'll be there in 2 minutes!"

Jeff met him outside, and they came up with a plan to search the woods.  Then, Jeff heard something behind him.

Jeff whispers, "He's right behind me."

Man,"Who?"

Jeff, "The dog."

Man, "My dog?"

Jeff, "I don't know.  Call him."

Yes, it was obviously his dog.  The owner pulled the dog over our fence, and the dog immediately leaped all over him. It was adorable. Poor thing had been missing more than 24 hours.

After a stop at my birdbath for a drink, the happy couple were on their way.  The man said, "If you ever want to come over and visit my dog you are more than welcome!"

Yeah, ok.

Clearly, the man loves his dog so much, he thinks perfect strangers would want to hang out with the dog!  Too funny.

I gave Chewy some extra treats for his help in the whole situation.
It was a good day.

16 comments:

Priscilla said...

What an exciting day!

So glad that the big black dog has found his owner at last. What a relief to his owner : )

Chewy definitely deserved some extra treats as he gave warnings to everyone. Good boy, Chewy!


Helen said...

So great you were able to help reunite them. My first Sheltie wandered off and was gone for a couple days. I was so happy the family who found him tracked me down through his rabies tags.

Helen said...

So great you were able to help reunite them. My first Sheltie wandered off and was gone for a couple days. I was so happy the family who found him tracked me down through his rabies tags.

Chris and Ricky said...

Great story! It's nice when things work out so well!

houndstooth said...

I'm glad it all turned out so well! I'm giggling over "He's right behind me!" Ha!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Chewy is a hero!!!! Way to go Chewy!!! Loved the story -- it has such a happy ending! Loved the part about Jeff and the guy's conversation -- who -- my dog -- I don't know! So funny!!!!! Mommy read it twice already and is still smiling!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

Chewy did a great job!!

Everyone thinks their dog is great :) They should! Maybe he invited you over so he could have a playmate for his dog?

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Nothing better then giving a helpful paw ! Way to go Chewy

corbinwooten said...

I love happy endings! And nice work, Chewy :)

Sam said...

Love a happy ending!

Sam

Dawn said...

I was laughing too...who did he THINK Jeff was talking about? Silly man...glad it all worked out though...good ending to what could have been a sad story. Good job Chewy!!

Dawn said...

PS: Katie has apparently been a handful today. I read this story to my husband. His response? Ask them if they want another dog, they obviously know how to handle them. (Chewy is almost exactly like Katie, looks like her, acts just like her!)...

I don't think he's serious, but he sure is frustrated...she's such a handful.

Sara said...

Send her on over!

Nicki said...

A good happy story is always nice. Even if the guy is a bit odd.

James said...

Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Shetland Sheepdog Community at vorts.com? Our members will love it.
Members include: Sheltie Owners, Breeders, Rescues and Lovers.
It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website...
You can also add Photos, Videos, Rescues and Classifieds if you like. Post as much or as often as you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
The Sheltie Community: http://www.vorts.com/shetland_sheepdogs/
Thanks,
James Kaufman, Editor

Honey the Great Dane said...

Aw...it was great to read the happy ending to the story! :-)