Tuesday, July 10, 2012

tricky t-day ~ balance pods

Yes, after a very long hiatus, we are back with something.  It's not really a trick, more of a strengthening/hind end awareness exercise, but I'm teaching it as a trick.

I have four small balance pods, and I am shaping the dogs to put all four paws on the pods.  I don't really care if they use all four pods, as long as all 4 feet are on a pod.  You'll see that Chewy prefers to use three,while Oreo uses 3 or 4 pods.

This was our third session with the pods.  In the end, I would like to move all the pods together and eventually get down to one pod, with all 4 paws on at the same time.  Oreo caught on a bit faster than Chewy, but Chewy is very close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ENSPHWsVo


I really thought this was going to be an easy thing to teach, but it is harder than it looks.

11 comments:

Chris and Ricky said...

Cool!! I bet that IS hard to teach! Both your guys are doing well! It must be really hard to see when to click. I am looking forward to seeing all four feet on one pod! :)

andrea said...

LOVE it

what good goo dogs :)

Diana said...

Wow, Im impressed. Ive been trying to teach just two back feet on the pods and thats been tough. Great job!!

corbinwooten said...

Looks hard to me! I don't know if I could ever get my two to put their back feet on there. Nice job!

pooky said...

Good job you guys!!!! I know how hard it can be to contain yoursef..lol! I remember when my doggie caught a ball for the first time...lol! she gave me a look like, "what I'd do"?
♥hugs♥
Bev

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

whenever I see these I always wish I lived by you so that I could hire you to train Dakota!! You amaze me!
Chewy was watching sooo patiently and they both did so great!

Yay Oreo and Chewy!!

Dawn said...

Yea, if you ever get tired of teaching your new career could be to travel around to all our houses to train ours! (dogs, not spouses or anything...)

Lian said...

Brilliant!! I bought 8 of them so the Shelties can walk on them as well.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

So cool! Didn't know that had pods like that -- we heard of I-Pods -- but then we were like -- why would humans want you dogs to stand on an I-Pod! Then we thought maybe Sara just wants to teach you guys to stand on one of those "I-Pods" so you can adjust the volume and change music tracks and stuff like that. (You know lazy humans - they will sit there and relax while the dogs do everything for them, you know.)

By the way, I saw that move -- before the slow motion! How cool would that have been to throw Oreo a treat and he would have went under Chewy's legs. Pawsome!

houndstooth said...

That is really cute! The boys will be mastering DDR soon! lol

Kathy said...

We've been playing with the pods! :-). Oreo is such a natural and Chewey is no slouch either, both such talented guys! Looks like you guys have been doing lots of training lately! How fun.....your inspiring me!