Friday, June 22, 2012

corner the critter

Oreo and Chewy chased a poor, cute little chipmunk and cornered him under our deck.

I think Oreo was out for blood. Whereas Chewy wanted to make a new friend.

Poor Mr. Chippy didn't want to come out from under the old septic tank cover to play, and that made Chewy very unhappy.  Turn your sound on to hear his dramatics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_0RAPFj6s

The other morning, I let the dogs out first thing.  Oreo went into "sniff" mode right away, and both dogs were distracted by some incredible odors.  I decided to go in and make my coffee while they explored a bit.

After awhile, Oreo came inside, but Chewy didn't.  Weird.

I went out to check on him, and instead of running/jumping/attacking/licking me as usual, Chewy stayed at the fence line sniffing something.  I went over and saw it was a rabbit.

A no longer alive (also known as dead) rabbit, caught under our fence.

Ack!

I grab Chewy and RUN inside.

I woke Jeff up to remedy the situation.  Of course, it is Jeff's job to handle all dead animals (although once, I did have to suck it up and remove a dead toad off our deck before Chewy swallowed it, I'm still squirming over that one).

I'm not sure what Jeff does with the dead animals.  All I know is I am grateful they don't end up in our freezer.

After doing the deed,  Jeff came in and said, "Which dog has blood on him?"

What!

Neither.

Appalling.

Jeff says, "The rabbit was still warm."

Really, you touched it?  I don't think so.

No evidence existed.  Both dogs were squeaky clean.

Anyway....Jeff is convinced Chewy killed the rabbit.
Does this look like the face of a killer?  NO!

I think the incident happened before I let the dogs out.  Otherwise, I would have heard a chase/bark scene going on, instead of the quiet sniff fest.

If it was one of our two, I'd guess it was Oreo.
"Oh please."

I guess we'll never know the cause of the rabbit's demise.

Regardless....


Flopsy, I'm sorry our fence killed you.  I'm no Mr. McGreggor, but didn't you learn from Peter that you can get stuck on fences?

15 comments:

Helen said...

Chewy makes me think of our Patches where the Chipmunk is concerned. I think sometimes she would dig to China after one. You just have to make her quit and go into the house then close the doggie door for a couple of hours.

Bailey said...

Poor guys, we'll send you the number of our defense attorney. We get blamed for everything, too. No blood, no case.

corbinwooten said...

Poor Peter Rabbit!

I would definitely have no idea what to do--husbands are good for those sorts of things :)

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

Ah, my Human Papa says that rabbits frequently die from heart failure when terrified. If rabbit was cornered or caught by the fence, he may have died of fear...unless there was blood on him from...

My Human once had a young stud colt grab an escaped pet rabbit that entered his paddock, flip it in the air and, end result...lifeless rabbit. You don't have a young horse on the other side of that fence you could blame do you?

Just wanted to stop to see how your week is going. Hope it's great! Wishin' y'all a great and a wonderful summer and a relaxing weekend! Stay cool!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Chris and Ricky said...

I love Chewy's dramatic noises - Ricky makes so many sounds it is hilarious! Hmm...I find it hard to believe either one of them killed the rabbit. I've had to deal with dead animals before - including burying a dead rat! Next time I am calling Jeff! :)

Dawn said...

First of all I think Chewy was quite tame trying to dig out that chipmunk. Katie chases them into the drain pipe from the gutter, and then hysterically bites the downspout until I drag her away.

Second, I agree rabbits just sometimes die out of sheer fear...however, if there was blood, could have been the rabbit trying to get through the fence. I figure, no blood on the dogs, no foul!

Dawn said...

Oh Sara, I forgot why I was here...I have an email that I'd like for you to send to your PA Rep Shuster...and I thought I had your email but I guess not. You have mine..right? Email me at dawnkinster@gmail.com and I'll send you the information...it's truck safety stuff. Thanks

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh gosh - what a week for animals at your place!! :-)

Poor Chewy did sound desolate in that video!

And no, no - I can't believe either of your gorgeous pups killed that rabbit! :-) No seriously, I agree with you - I think if there was any killing involved, you would definitely have heard something. They're not stealth hunters, are they?! :-)

Maybe the rabbit was diseased and just happened to keel over at the fence?

I had to laugh at what you said about Jeff dealing with dead animals. I'm usually the one dealing with any critters at our place - especially spiders - well, unless they're COCKROACHES!!! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

I think I would lean toward Oreo being the demiser of rabbits...not sure why but there it is :)

Priscilla said...

Both of them look so innocent! I think Peter Rabbit was stuck under the fence and died. That's it!!!

I won't touch anything dead either if the man is around. I had removed one or two dead geckos just because Eva was so interested in it and I didn't want her to have a chance to play with the dead gecko. Ewwwww!!!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

Nooooo I don't think that either of your boys killed that bunny! Not Chewy OR Oreo!!

I bet something got to it before your boys came out as you said. Poor bunny!!!

you know I just get the biggest kick out of Chewy all the time!

pooky said...

Hmmmmm....sounds like a case for the FBI..lol! sorry to hear about the poor bunny:( I don't think either one of them did it...really! Chewy wants a new friend so bad!!! It she's anything like my fur baby was she definitely wanted to make a friend:)))
♥hugs to you's♥
Bev

Lian said...

I think Peter Rabbit was too excited to see Oreo and Chewy running out and running to greet them but stupidly got caught under the fence and commit suicide! LOL

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

We were so laughing out loud with the caption under Chewy's adorable picture - he didn't kill it!!! Blame it on all the wildlife around your place! (Oh, and since we are dogs, we could so translate what Chewy was saying in that video -- he was begging to Mr. Chipper -- Please of please come out to play -- I don't bite --- we just won't play by the pool of rabbit blood by the fence!)

Nicki said...

One time we found our lazy barn cat laying in the barn next to a still warm rabbit. The cat had a little blood on him. We never would have believed he did it otherwise!