Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chewy's first trial!

Last night, Chewy had his very first agility trial run.

It was a DOCNA trial and they were running standard and jumpers on Friday night.  I thought it was the perfect opportunity to see what Chewy would do in a trial setting.  He's not ready for a standard course yet.  We still have to work on weaves, etc.  DOCNA jumpers is a run with only jumps (no tempting dogwalks looming in the background).

When I saw the course map, I was worried.  I remember beginner DOCNA jumpers courses being long lines of jumps with one turn. This one seemed to have a lot of turns.  I was even more concerned when I walked it. The jumps seemed to be at weird angles, and we had never done a course this long (13 obstacles). 

Chewy and I still haven't ironed out our rear crosses, so I planned on a couple of front.

During our run, I was never able to pull off a front (Chewy was going too fast for me to get ahead of him) or rear cross properly, but Chewy figured it all out. What a good dog.

Chewy Q'ed, despite me saying, "Holy shit you're doing it", at the second to last jump, which almost caused Chewy to miss the jump.

Here's our run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcHrpy9orI




20 comments:

Helen said...

And a blue ribbon for first place? Our first place ribbons are red and our Q ribbons are red and white.

Way to go Chewy!! Mom is sure going to have to run when you turn on the after burners.

Chris and Ricky said...

Haha! I loved it when Chewy was going so fast that you seemed to be in slow motion! He's going to keep you on your toes for sure! Congratulations on a fantastic first run!

pooky said...

*claps* for Chewy and mom!!! Way to go you two:)

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

Stoppin' to say "hello" and see how y'all are doing.

What an exciting run! Go Chewy!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Lian said...

Congratulations! Very well done to Chewy's first trial. Can't believe he is old enough to compete already!

betty said...

What an amazing dog! Chewy is so fast. I think if you went faster he would challenge you. You just won't be able to get in front of that boy!

houndstooth said...

Way to go for both of you! Your line near the end cracks me up. It's nice when they surprise you in a good way! lol

Diana said...

Good thing it wasnt AKC or you would have NQ'd for cussing. LOL. Great run!!

Helen said...

He did great. A big hand to both of you. Helen

andrea said...

NICE work

hilarious "crosses" in a couple of spots - most most excellent job tho! thanks for sharing

Priscilla said...

LOL! It seems Chewy was telling his mom to run faster so she could tell him where to go next!

Congratulations to both of you!

Have fun collecting the beautiful ribbons!

Dawn said...

"Come ON Mom! Which one next! This is a blast!" - Chewy on his very first trial. He's going to keep you on your toes, that's for sure!

akgvizslainspiration said...

Congrats!! How amazing that you all were able to have a clean run so quickly! Glad your hard work has paid off. I think Luna and I would have the easiest time with jumper courses, maybe I should look more into training for things like that.

Do you have any books or sites that explain the differences in agility types? I don't even know where to begin.
Anna
www.akginspiration.com

Sara said...

I think the web is the best place to find out information on agility venues. Around here...DOCNA, CPE and USDAA agility are the most frequented. All venues seem to have some sort of jumpers event, some with tunnels and weaves added.

If you google those venues, you can easily find the rules and "games" that are offered. It is also good to see if there are trials in your area. DOCNA isnt offered much out here in the east,but you will find it in arizona/colorado area. AKC is another venue that seems widespread, as well as NADAC.

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Way to go Chewy - I sure hope your Mo has a wall free - you are going to need them for all your ribbons I think!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Congratulations Chewy! You were pawsome! Don't worry, we couldnt hear your mom's HBO word ( holy sh*t) over the guys talking in the background.

Ninette said...

Way to go, Sara and Chewy! Well done!!!

corbinwooten said...

Awesome job! That was NOT an easy novice course--way to go!

And I admit, I laughed out loud at what you said at the end! :)

Nicki said...

Wow-so grown up already! Congrats.

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh congratulations!! Chewy's a natural...what a promising future agility star! :-)