Tuesday, March 6, 2012

brave boy

No tricks yet!

However, I have to share this news ~ Chewy had agility class last night, and Oreo actually CHOSE to get out of the car and go in the building.   He hopped right out of the car before I could even get his leash on.

For the past 4 months or so, I have let Oreo decide if he wanted to come in the building.  Each week, he has  opted to stay in the car.

Yesterday, I gave him many opportunities to change his mind, and was set on putting him back in the car if he showed any signs of hesitation about going inside.

He strolled right in.

My teacher was kind enough to set up a few jumps, and Oreo did a few.  Then, I put him in his crate.

He did a bit of barking when I worked close to his crate with Chewy.

We went outside for a potty break, and again, Oreo willingly went back inside.

After Chewy's class, I decided to see if he wanted to do some agility.  We had been working "letter P" jumping sequences.

At first, Oreo only did two jumps, then went into terrorist scanning mode.  There were other people in the ring.

They left for us, and Oreo happily did the sequence.  I gave him big rewards of chicken and then put him in the car.

Who knows what will happen next week.  We may have another 4 months of him hanging out in the car, which I'm totally fine with.  However, I was so proud of my brave boy.

I know that, for most dogs, getting out of a car isn't a big deal!  Most dogs get excited to go some place new.  But, for Oreo, this was HUGE!


I know that Oreo is never going to "get over" his fears.   There is no magic pill.  That is why every little moment of confidence means so much.

17 comments:

corbinwooten said...

That is really neat! I bet you were so happy to see him confident and happy.

I love that you left it up to him. It goes to show that dogs really think about their options--and he felt like seeing what was going on inside :)

Way to go Oreo!

Helen said...

That's wonderful. Maybe having an outgoing life-long friend in Chewy helps. Oreo thinks well if he can do it so can I. Good on you for letting him make his own choices.

Dawn said...

Awww Oreo my buddy...you're making me tear up here! So glad you decided to hang out with Mom. But the car's OK too...it's up to you. Gotta figure whatever is inside is more interesting...but naps are better outside. So it's good either way.

Diana said...

Whoohooo!!! Im so excited for you!!

Chris and Ricky said...

That's so terrific Sara!!! You are so good with Oreo and letting him chose was the key. I bet he forgot to think before he hopped out of the car. Seems to me most Shelties think way too much! :)

houndstooth said...

I've had a fearful dog before, and I can really appreciate what a big step that was for your boy! Hopefully, he decides that it's a good idea next week, too!

pooky said...

Way to go Oreo:)))) What a super doggie you are! I'm so proud of you:)

betty said...

This is a chicken skin morning. Sara, I can feel your joy. How wonderful that Oreo overcame his fear and joined in the fun. You speak his language and understand. In or out, it is his choice, but last night, we think he was a brave boy.

Kathy said...

WHOO HOOO Oreo, you are my hero!!!

Ellen said...

Just as we need to watch, listen to our children, so we need to try for our poochies. Bravo to Oreo!

Honey the Great Dane said...

oh – we know what you've been working with, with Oreo so we know just what an achievement this is. So happy for you! Well done Oreo! brave boy!:-)

andrea said...

Thrilled for you both!!!!!!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

sweet Oreo! That is wonderful news!

Shelties are so sensitive...I understand completely about what you are talking about because Dakota is quite similar.

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

Awww! I'm so glad I saw this post! I love a good success story! Even more I love a dog mom who respects and loves their dog for who they are. Good job to both of you!!

Priscilla said...

Way to go, Oreo!!! You're so brave and we're so proud of you!!!

Reilly / Denny Cowspotdogs said...

Having to work with Denny all the time to overcome his fear - I can understand how proud of Oreo you are. Feel the same way with Denny when he makes the smallest improvement. I made a new dog bed for Jackie last night and was AMAZED to see Denny actually curl up on it the minute I put it on the floor. (It took him 4 weeks before he would even go near the one I got him at Christmas!!) Denny hates anything new or different in the house - so yes I was proud of my little guy too. Way to go Oreo !!!

AC said...

So cool to read this. Those little things sure are huge. I like how you gave Oreo an option and didn't put any pressure on him. I wish I knew how important this is when I first adopted Kona. Oh, to know now...