Sunday, January 1, 2012

The gully

Last year, Rob at a gardener's diary, took photographs of the same tree at the beginning of each month. I really loved this series of photos, and how the tree never looked the same from month to month. Looking forward to his new series this year!

Wanting to try this myself, I've been searching for something to photograph. Something that I knew would be dynamic. I love the single tree idea, but all the trees around here are in clumps.

There is a certain part of our wooded path that I find breathtaking. However, though it is 50 degrees today (weird), I know the odds of us being under three feet of snow come February first are high. Would I be able to reach it?

Therefore, I decided to photograph our gully from the edge of our deck. My favorite part of the gully are the fallen trees with moss growing over them. The moss seems to be the constant, while everything else will surely change throughout the year.

Since we've only lived here since September, I'll be seeing the changes for the first time, along with you.

Here is my first photo in a series of 12:


Pretty bleak, huh?

16 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Great idea! I will definitely look forward to seeing your gully come to life in the spring!

It is 47 here and falling and super windy! Guess a cold front is coming and will blow into your area soon.

katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

I love this idea! How cool! Maybe I'll try to find something to photograph too. . . gotta put my thinking cap on.LOL it's super warm here too. It's weird, but I'm loving it. SO much nicer to walk.:))

Ellen said...

Passages of time in life...yes! I follow another blog where she takes a photo out her back door and I am always amazed in the beauty she sees. The sky, the land...all breathtaking!

LauraK said...

What a fun idea! I'm really looking forward to seeing that gully fill in with green, and then fall colors!

andrea said...

Beautiful :)

and great idea

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

I LOVE this idea!!!!! Can't wait to watch the changes with you!

Diana said...

That will be neat!!

Dawn said...

This is a wonderful idea! I love the view you have off of the deck, what a terrific "back yard!" I've often though about shooting the pond across the street in all four seasons...I wonder...

Brittany said...

What a fun idea!! Definitely something I look forward to seeing every month.

AC said...

Oh, love this! Something so special about getting to know a specific spot like that. Happy 2012!

houndstooth said...

It's a great idea! A few months before we knew we were getting Kuster, I saw this video that someone had done for their puppy's first birthday. They took a picture of him in the same spot every day for a year, and then made it into a video. I'm trying to do the same thing with Kuster, but taking a picture once a week. I am hoping I can get it to turn out really cool!

Priscilla said...

What a lovely idea! It's a wonderful project and I hope I can do something like yours. However, the patience and persistence will be a big test to me : )

Bailey said...

I love this idea.

Rob said...

Hi Sara, I reckon you have chose well as there looks to be quite a variety of things growing from the trees to the undergrowth.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

What a great idea. I think whatever location we would choose would have tons of weeds in it during the summer time. Mommy would probably be too embarrassed by weeds to do a photo series.

Nicki said...

What a neat idea!