Tuesday, November 29, 2011

tricky t-day ~ 2o/2o

Chewy has been in an agility foundations class for the past 4 weeks.  Fun!  There is a blue merle sheltie in our class, who Chewy loves to play with. So cute!

It is a homework intensive class, not leaving much time for other "tricks".

Last class, no matter what skill we were working on, Chewy would find something, somewhere to do a 2o/2o.  It was hysterical. I was trying to get him to go thru  jump poles, but he was running up and down the dogwalk, doing contacts instead.  I was sending him to a table on the ground, and he would 2o/2o, waiting for his release word.

He does the same thing at home, on railroad ties, boxes, you name it....always hoping to be rewarded.

Right now, we are mostly working on holding the position and rewarding while I move around.

I don't take training seriously. I'm not sure if we will ever trial, nor do I really care.  I am simply thrilled that Chewy enjoys the classes and activities.  He pretty much thinks everything is a party.

Here's a video of Chewy's silly contact antics.

http://vimeo.com/32816847

2o/2o from Sara on Vimeo.

I bring Oreo to all of Chewy's classes.  I've been giving Oreo the option of staying in the car, or coming in the building with us.  He has chosen the car every time!  I'm hoping that allowing him to "choose" will help Oreo understand that I'm not going to ask him to do things that make him uncomfortable.  Maybe, someday, he'll want to get out.  Right now, he's enjoying the car ride.

I am signing Oreo up for Silvia Trkman's  advanced tricks distance class.  Oreo LOVES to train, and I feel at a loss for new tricks.  Taking the class will give me some new ideas, and keep me motivated to do some consistent training with him.  Hopefully, in a few weeks, Oreo will have some new tricks to show you!






11 comments:

Dawn said...

Chewy! You're all grown up, even have your little pantaloons in the back! You are one fast little learner, or else your Mom is a great teacher. Probably a little bit of both. Glad Oreo is enjoying the car ride and I bet he loves learning new tricks!

Diana said...

LOL, very cute. I love your new training space. Im jealous.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I am seriously ROTFL! Chewy was hilarious - you even remove the board and he STILL does 2o2o!

I am really looking forward to seeing your new tricks with Oreo - I am pretty much out of ideas too!

Priscilla said...

I feel so bad now. I have stopped doing and learning tricks with Eva since ages ago!

Chewy has grown so much and he's so cute. He is a very happy boy.

Love your video, it made me smile and then laugh :)

Kristine said...

This is too cute. Shiva loves her contacts too. If there is a piece of wood or a foot stool on the floor, you can bet she'll rush right over and get into position. They learn fast how to get those treats, don't they?

I love your positive attitude toward training. Chewy does too, I am sure!

Helen said...

Obviously, Chewy has been rewarded quite well for 2o2o :-) Beckett is the same way for the table especially now that we ahd to retrain. I hope you will trial with him some day, even if only in fun matches; he seems like a guy who loves to work.

houndstooth said...

Ha ha ha! There's no faulting Chewy's work ethic! What a cutie he is!

Just Ramblin' said...

Watching this this morning brightened my day. It was better than a cup of coffee. Giggles in the morning are always a good thing. Enjoy your new class. : )

Kathy said...

Love that 2020. The advanced tricks class sounds so fantastic, I am feeling a little overwhelmed so I hope to take it next time ;-). I have come to the conclusion not all dogs like the ring side or hanging around outside class, seems like for a lot of dogs crating or staying in the car and coming out for their classes or runs suits them just fine and really why not?.

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

I love how tuned in you are to the different personalities that each of your Shelties has.

I wish I were adept at training like you are, I feel so guilty that my Sheltie is so training deprived.

I wish you lived by me, I would hire you to train my boy!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Mommy loves that song. We love Chewy's video. That move he did near the tunnel where his back paws were on the box was so awesome. It looked like he was doing fancy foot work for a dance. Both your dogs are so talented!