Tuesday, August 9, 2011

tricky t-day ~ shut cabinets

One thing we are working on in our distance puppy class is shutting cabinets.  This is supposed to help teach the puppy that they can control the movement of something, and prepare them for the teeter bang sound in agility.

Chewy LOVES cabinets.  They become his playground when I'm making his meal.  He throws his body against them, climbs in them, takes stuff out of them, etc.

I thought this would be an easy trick for him, but he gets startled by the "bang".  Therefore, I've been jackpotting him every time the door slams.

Mid video, you'll see me switch from our kitchen to bathroom cabinet, as it is a bit quieter. Chewy wasn't startled by it at all. Maybe part of the problem is that our kitchen cabinets are virtually empty (due to moving), and the noise echoes a bit.

I hope to do one more tricky t-day next week before we move!  Then we'll have some new cabinets to try out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyKBuW1lvlQ

14 comments:

Dawn said...

riding the lazy susan! How cute was that! He's so much bigger than I realized...hope the move is going well. I think I'm going to miss this house, and I didn't even live there! LOL

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I know the intended trick was shutting cabinet doors but riding the lazy susan was awesome! :)

Have you sold your house already? It is so cute!

Sara said...

We're actually not selling it. We are going to try and rent it out.

Priscilla said...

Good job boys!!!

Having FUN moving out!

Lassiter Chase and T said...

Love the Lazy Susan trick looked like he was riding a skateboard. Your dogs are amazing!

Bailey said...

They are always having such fun. I haven't seen a lazy susan since my parents sold their house. Cool.

Mack and Murph said...

We love Tricky Tuesday. Right job, Oreo and Chewy. The lazy susan was icing on the cake.

Reilly / Bree said...

that's a great trick - I just hope they never do it just as you walk out and suddenly remember you have forgotten your keys :) :) :)

Rob said...

Our dogs don't have any trouble opening the doors but shutting them is another matter!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

That is adorable! Chewy riding the lazy susan was so cute!! Oreo and Chewy are very talented!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

houndstooth said...

I think Chewy needs a Sit & Spin! It looks to me like you have a perfect combo, Chewy to open the drawers and Oreo to close them!

andrea said...

opening drawers - not something Sally can watch - the fridge is bad enough ;)

very very cute - loved the lazy susan :)

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

do you think they could come and teach my husband how to close drawers and cabinets? They are MUCH better at it than he is!

Sophie said...

Just too cute!

If Chewy's a little startled by the bang of the kitchen cabinet but not by the bathroom one, you could try training him to knock over books, DVDs, etc. I've been doing that with Lola (well... when I remember) and she's getting better about the sounds.