Thursday, July 28, 2011

you bought a house for your dog?

Yes.  I did.  I bought a new house for my dog.

Well, that's not the only reason, but Oreo set it forth in swift motion.

For years, I have been dreaming about owning a house with lots of privacy and land and maybe some chickens.  Jeff has been wanting a place with room to build a big garage.  Flat land to store trailers and other big boy toys.

I've scoured the real estate section of our paper every Sunday. Searching for our dream piece of the earth.

We've gone to a few open houses, but nothing ever seemed worth giving up what we had.  We love the house we live in now.  Put lots of hard work and love into making it perfect for us.

But.....there are the neighbors.  Neighbors very fond of chain saws.  Neighbors who build 2 story, air conditioned play houses, 6 story tree houses right on our property line, while their own house is falling apart.  Neighbors who argue non stop.  Neighbors who have late night parties, right outside our bedroom window.

On Saturday, Oreo saw a kid running around the playhouse early in the morning.  It set him off, and sent me to my computer.

I saw a new house on the market.  Read this description:
Special Opportunity to purchase this Unique Hidden treasure. Travel over small bridge to private hilltop home. Surrounded by Beautiful tall trees. Secluded and close commute to Albany. Spacious 1776 sq ft home with open floor plan, Vaulted ceiling, White kitchen cabinetry, Private Bath & deck off of masterbedroom. Attached garage w/mudroom and Full finished walk out basement. Great piece or property to relax and enjoy Nature!

Brought the computer to Jeff and said, "I just found our new house."



We set up an appointment for the next day. Spent Saturday on Google Earth ogling our new house from every rotated position possible.

Saw the house on Sunday, and nervously made a low ball offer.  An offer we knew we could live with. If they didn't take it, then it wasn't meant to be.  We still had a house to live in.

They countered with an amount way too high for our comfort level.  So, we went up $5000 on our original offer, and they agreed. 

Like us, they had bought a new house a few miles away from their present one.  They loved their house, but their kids wanted to be in a kid friendly neighborhood.  They were moving for their children.  I thought, hmm, not so different from us. Kids leave home, dogs die, but you do what is good for your life at that moment.

Oreo will have a rough few weeks as we pack and move.  However, I know once we settle in, his life will improve. 

And when I wake up in the morning, look out my windows, and see nothing but woods, my life will improve as well.  I'm so excited, yet nervous.  Change is hard for me.  Having my life in chaos in really hard for me.  I have a difficult time going away somewhere for the weekend, preferring to stick to my routine.

But, sometimes you have to seize the moment or you'll find yourself living with regret for not pursuing what you really want in life.

If I don't blog as much as usual the next few weeks, you'll know why. I'm packing up 16 years of my life!

22 comments:

Diana said...

How exciting. We hope yo do what you guys are doing in the near future. We have moved 5 times since we have been married. But now I'm not sure I have the energy to pack up this big house. Good luck!!

Priscilla said...

So happy for you and Oreo!!
The house is beautiful and I know everything will be much better for you and the dogs there! The nature surrounding it is just wonderful! There can be nothing better than having a nice quiet home without neighbours.

Bailey said...

That sounds wonderful. I can relate to wanting more space and freedom. Thankfully our nightmare neighbors finally moved, but we are still way too close to people. I would love to have a bit more space around us.

Helen said...

Moving is tough but once you get settled in, you realize it was worth it. Wish you all the best in your new home.

Kristine said...

Congratulations!! This is so exciting! Though, I gotta admit how jealous I am. We have been thinking of moving for a long time so we can get a fenced backyard for our dog, but the right place cannot be found.

Your new home sounds wonderful and I hope the move goes smoothly

Mack and Murph said...

Congratulations. We are sooo happy for y'all. I would move for my pups in an instant. Neighbors can be so annoying. I'm sure Oreo and Chewy will LOVE their new stompin' grounds. Happy dog= Happy owner

Ninette said...

Nerve-wrecking and exciting at the same time - good luck with the move.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Congratulations! I think you found the perfect house! I hate change and chaos too and love routine so I am in awe of you having the guts to make this big move! It will be awesome though, I am sure, and you guys will love living there!!

After two days of working on a pillow, Ricky is getting the frog leg thing! At least I think he's doing since it is more impossible to see his legs than even Oreo's! Thanks for the advice! Tomorrow I'll try to move him off the pillow.

Sophie said...

It's truly amazing, what we do for our dogs! I can easily imagine moving house for Lola, and probably will do it as soon as I can.

The house looks gorgeous - and I hope the move goes well!

Sara said...

Ricky,

I got the pillow idea from Silvia. I was amazed at how much it helped.

Hope you show us Ricky's froggie!

Freda said...

Well done - happy moving and please try to find time for lots of pictures.

Rob said...

Oh well done Sara, I'm so pleased for you all, it looks a really nice place from what I can see in the picture. I'm like you in that I like my routine but if its for the better then you just have to bite the bullet, it's only for a short while and then everything will be even better than it is now. Please try and keep us posted.

AC said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm all nervous and excited for you! It sounds like you did find the perfect place (love the highlighted description=) WHen Kona and I move, you bet her needs will direct most of the decisions. ("Do you by chance know if the neighbors dribble basketballs? Yes? Hhmmm. OK, thanks.")

madcobug said...

I like the house. Ours is way to close to other people. You are going to love the quietness. Helen

Reilly / Bree said...

It's not a change - it's a whole new adventure - that is the best way to look at it. Sure there will be some adjustment, you have to get the place just the way you want it but eventually it will all be worth it.

Dawn said...

This is so exciting...and scary...and a lot of work. And your current home is so cute! But that will help it sell. And you'll make this one cute too! You'll love the space and I know you'll love the solitude! So will the boys! (all 3 of them!). How different is your commutes to work? And will you have a fenced back yard?

Sara said...

My commute will be about 10 more minutes at most (my commute was only about 8 minutes), Jeff's will stay the same ore even be shorter.

First thing on Jeff's to do list is put up a fence!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Congratulations!!! That is so wonderful and exciting!!! You will love it!! I'm stuck right now in a okay house that I've had for 12 years but in the middle of a noisy bad city with crime, screaming, a school right across the street and endless traffic up a narrow street. I would love someday to move somewhere like that and look out the window at the woods again and be away from the noise. Meanwhile, have fun and think of what you will have very soon..I can't wait to hear more when you get a chance! The dogs will love it...when I did move to the country over a decade ago to live for awhile, my dogs and kitty got used to it really quick!!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

andrea said...

FABULOUS!!!
I ADORE my laying hens ... adore them i say :)
very excited for you - happy packing and moving:)heck of a way to spend your August ... and good luck selling your current home too:)

Lassiter Chase and T said...

Congratulations on the new home. I can't wait to see pictures! Make sure you take some of Babchi's flowers with you to the new house!

Lian said...

Congratulations!! Its a beautiful house. We wish you many happy years in your new house!

We were once like you, move to where we are now because of the dogs!

I am sure Oreo will love the peaceful house with no nasty neighbour.

Nicki said...

How exciting, congrats