Saturday, July 16, 2011

pond

After Oreo's rally class today, I brought Chewy to the pond area to play with the big dogs...mostly border collies, with a lab, shepherd, and a couple airdales mixed in.  He had a very good time exploring, watching the big dogs dock dive, and he saw sheep for the first time!

Chewy seemed really interested in the water (there were little fish swimming around), but he never got a toe in.  He would stretch his way in....putting the "frog stretch" we've been learning in Silvia's class to practical use.

sheep

Hangin' with the big dogs

On the dock....no chance he's jumping off.

He got his nose wet from other dogs shaking off.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQcYBxxbY2o

I've never brought Oreo in the pond area, because I'm not sure how he would act around the other dogs. After today, I may try it sometime.  The other dogs really didn't seem to get in anyone's space, because they were too busy having fun.

When we got home, my neighbor's kids/friends were playing loudly, right along our property line.  This is always tough on Oreo.  I put him on a leash, and did some desensitizing stuff.  Eventually, he calmed, stopped barking, and was giving me consistent eye contact. I took him off leash and sent him to pee (something he can't do when scared).  I was so proud when he lifted his leg and emptied his bladder.  We ran inside right away for a whole bunch of turkey deli meat.

19 comments:

Diana said...

Chewy fooled me everytime. I kept thinking, "oh he is going to get in this time". LOL, nope! Then when the big dogs went in, I thought, "oh now he will definintely go in". Nope, LOL He looked like he wanted the dogs to chase him but they werent falling for that.

Yea Oreo!!

Dawn said...

Yep, Chewey has no fear! And he's all legs now, that photo of him looking back at you is just lanky legs!

Glad he had fun. You never know, Oreo might have fun too! And you'll pull him back out if he doesn't, so you could try.

Glad Oreo could focus on you when the noisy kids were near his yard. Darn kids! LOL. You need a nice old person like me living there...but then there'd be the noisy Katie-girl.

Helen said...

I thought for sure Chewy would try the water. I hope Beckett will with the life jacket. My one regret about Shelties, since I love to swim, is that they don't like water much.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

chewy is just so happy and carefree! I thought he would get in the water too.

Hurray for oreo! glad he was able to relax with the neighbor kids outside!

houndstooth said...

Whew! I hope Chewy's enjoying a nice nap this afternoon, because I'm tired just watching him! He seems so fearless, well until it comes to the water. I bet he'll be in before too long, though!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Chewy sure was doing some great zoomies!! He got closer to the water than Holly will...so far she has gotten one paw in the water and jumped back after drinking a little of it. She loves watching the tiny fish but no way will she get in it!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

OMG I loved this but Dakota is going off again! lol

Every time the dogs bark or he hears their tags on their collars!!

Chewy is the gutsiest little guy!

Mack and Murph said...

We just love watching Chewy's videos. He's so spunky! He must be tired from all that playing. He will be in that pond in no time!

Mack & Murph

Marie said...

What an awesome place with a pond too! Chewy looked like he was having a blast. I don't think it will be too long before he's trading in those fancy frog legs on the bank for a full on dive into the water. :-)

That is just fantastic news about Oreo. It's so nice to hear that he is able to relax even with the kids out there.

Anonymous said...

Rihtaš mal? Rihtaš?

Ludo van Doggy said...

Ludo wouldn't touch water at first, they're so funny. Sounds like your getting so much from your class, I'm jealous!

Bailey said...

Bailey loved playing with the big dogs as a pup and he still does. Sadly, water was not meant to be as his golden cousins pushed him in a pool and he has never recovered from the fear. We are hoping to find a pond to experiment with Katy this year and that might encourage Bailey to try again.

Reilly / Bree said...

That is a good boy Chewy - keep repeating - water is bad - water is bad - water makes thing shrink !!! Looks like you were having fun. You have grown so much but you are looking a little on the thin side in those pictures - I think you need to be much more lazy :) :) :)

Lassiter Chase and T said...

My mommy wouldn't let me off the leash like that. U r so brave to go so close to the pond I wouldn't go so close as u did. I hope u didn't eat any of the Barffed-up Dog food like the other dog did

Priscilla said...

Aww! Chewy looks like one very happy puppy playing with the big guys and the water!!

Sophie said...

Chewy is such an adorable, confident boy! He's a complete different pup from Lola at that age (and I guess from what Oreo was like, too?). I really love how happy he looks, constantly. :)

Kathy said...

Chewy is sooo cute. Whoooo hooooo Oreo-what a great sign, that is terrific!!!

madcobug said...

You could tell he really wanted to go in but just could not let go LOL.
Cute pictures and video. Thanks for sharing.

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh my goodness - is that really Chewy??!! I haven't had a chance to visit for a while and he has grown so much! I barely recognise him! Not the roly-poly little pup anymore but already starting to look like a gangly teenager! But such a handsome boy! And interesting how he is so different in personality from Oreo. Just love his smile!

Hsin-Yi