Friday, July 29, 2011

new class

I'm trying very hard to keep Oreo's routine as normal as possible during our big move.

So, why don't I bring him to a new agility class at a brand new location?

Sounds like a super idea! Right? (that's sarcasm folks)

OK, the past two weeks, I've been contemplating withdrawing from the class.  Wanting to eliminate any potential stress.

But.....this new location is so close to home (both my old and new home), that I wanted to give it a shot.

I went in thinking...if he freaks out, I won't bring him again.

Well, Oreo, my little rock star, didn't freak out.  He did have some issues about getting out of the car, but that pretty much happens anywhere we go.  Once he got out, Oreo did an amazing job.

I arrived early on purpose. We wandered a bit. I fed him lots of treats.  Sat down on the lawn with him and watched the earlier class doing some sequences.  Then I put him in his ex-pen to kind of absorb the atmosphere from a safe place.

Meanwhile, Chewy tried to pick up some more girls.  From a little yorkie to a white german shepherd, he was loving all the girlie attention.  He reminds me of my freshmen boy students, raging hormones!

At one point, a woman went over to the ex-pen and tried to interact with Oreo, I simply said,"Please ignore him.  He'll feel better if you ignore him."

The instructor overheard me and said, "Yes, he's shy, talk to Chewy instead."

I think the woman was a bit put off, but she did move away.

Oreo's class will be going through Linda Mecklenberg's jumping program.  For this class, all the dogs (about 6?) were in the ring at the same time.  Each of us working on one jump obstacle.

This was fantastic for Oreo.  All the other people/dogs were busy doing their own thing.

Oreo did all the exercises fabulously. The instructor even asked if I had already read the book.

"No," I said.

"Well, you two are naturals!"

It was a wonderful night.  I've missed doing agility with Oreo, and I think he did too.  He's such an awesome dog.

16 comments:

Diana said...

That is just so wonderful!! I'm doing the happy dance!!

Dawn said...

He IS an awesome dog! Look at that face! I'm glad he had fun,I think he'd miss it if you quit. Even if sometimes it's scary.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Fantastic news!!!!

Helen said...

Glad Oreo had a good time. I think it's good to try new things; if it doesn't work out, you can always leave the situation but if you don't try, you never know. I try to follow Linda Mecklenburg too, would be nice to take a jumping class like that with Beckett.

Lassiter Chase and T said...

Sounds like both dogs had fun.

Priscilla said...

YAY! Good for Oreo!

So glad he adjusted right away to the new surroundings and did so well in agility!!! You two ARE naturals!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Oreo and Chewy are precious!! They are both naturals!! Yay for Oreo...talk about a handsome boy and talented too!!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

Bailey said...

I am so glad it worked out. I sounds like he found a great outlet for his energy during the move.

andrea said...

delighte to hear it:)

Kristine said...

Yay! I am so glad you had such a great night! It's also nice the instructor backed you up when the woman wanted to pet Oreo. It's always good to have a respected trainer on your side.

I am not at all familiar with the Mecklenburg handling system as I've only ever trained using Greg Derret's methods. But I am curious as to how different it is.


Oreo is beyond awesome. What a great little guy. :-)

Kathy said...

That is really awesome, good job Oreo!!!! Is Oreo still seeing the behaviorist or has he completed that, seems like he has really made huge strides this year!

Sara said...

No, we haven't seen the behaviorist lately. I feel like I've got a good grasp on Oreo's needs at the moment.

Mack and Murph said...

Way to go Oreo! You give me hope for my pups! I completely feel the same way about people touching Murph. I'm always try to redirect to Mack. Some people just don't get it.

Sophie said...

Well done, Oreo! At least the woman listened when you and the instructor asked her to ignore him--far too many times, people ignore me and touch Lola anyway.

Brittany said...

How great that Oreo adjusted to quickly! Its great that you get to play agility together again.

Marie said...

Woohoo for you and Oreo! I am so thrilled that the new class is starting off so well for you both.