Tuesday, June 7, 2011

tricky t-day ~ learning the elephant

OK, Jeff is constantly telling me, "Why don't you let them be dogs, not circus animals."

Yea, but being an elephant tamer is so much fun!  Although, I probably would have chosen trapeze artist if given the choice.

Chewy has been learning the classic "elephant trick" for awhile now.   Unlike Oreo, I'm teaching him without any lures.  Takes longer, but hopefully he is learning how to learn in the process.

I feel like we are finally getting somewhere now.

I threw in a bit of what Oreo has been working on as well.

http://vimeo.com/24661195


Remember last week's mickey button trick?  Well, I've been teaching Chewy to hit the Mickey button when he needs to go "potty". 

Sometimes, he gets a bit too excited and repeatedly hits the button, bites it, or knocks it around the kitchen like an air hockey puck.

The other day, the button blurted out nastily, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD," instead of the cheerful, "Oh, Boy!"

It shocked me.  I haven't been able to figure out how that happened, or make it do it again. 

Huh.  Was the manufacturer playing some evil trick on Disney?  Or is the button simply annoyed with Chewy's antics?

16 comments:

verobirdie said...

They seem to enjoy the training!
I love the part where the puppy is stealing the treats :-)

Priscilla said...

Clever Chewy! He is too cute for words. Oreo did very well with his trick too, he's Chewy's great brother and best friend.

Hope Chewy has enough time to hit the Mickey button before he goes 'potty' : )

OMD!!! I can't believe that the button said THAT. It's hilarious!!!

Dawn said...

Oh my! This is all too cute! And what a little sneak Chewy is - finding the treats! :) He is learning heeling too, he's getting into heel position as you move around the elephant bowl...

Diana said...

Thats too funny about the Mickey button. LOL

Wow, I love seeing dog use shaping to learn something. Awesome!!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

By day 576 Chewy was really being an elephant! LOL! It is awesome that you are not luring - I lured/lure Ricky all the time.

What is wrong with your Mickey button? I can't believe it actually said that! Too funny!

Reilly / Bree said...

How cool is that - what a clever little guy Chewy is and he certainly seems to love learning.

Bailey said...

What a smart Chewy. I had no idea what the elephant trick was until I saw the video. He is an amazing pup.

That Mickey toy would be scaring me about now.

Amy Wood said...

Awesome job Chewy! He really did good. Oreo was doing a great job with his trick too!
LOL! Sounds like that Mickey button was getting annoyed. :)

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Great job Chewy!! He is so smart!! Oreo was standing there so patiently too...beautiful babies!! That is funny about the "off with your head" sound...that's enough to get your attention!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

LauraK said...

SO cute! What a little thinker you've got there, your boys are so smart and love doing their tricks! Thanks for sharing!

Kristine said...

So cute! I love that you call this the elephant trick. I just called it rear-end awareness exercise. :-P

That mickey button is creepy. They must have programmed it to do that when hit repeatedly with force. But it's still so weird!

Sophie said...

Chewy's elephant trick is coming along so well! Are you teaching Oreo a handstand?

Your boys are so patient (well, Chewy slightly less so, but he is a baby still) when the other one is working. Neither of mine are, really :)

houndstooth said...

I love how excited Chewy is to learn things! Oreo looks like he's got his trick down, too. I'm waiting for next week when they're both halfway on that drum! lol

That Mickey button story is hilarious! Perhaps it's made to distract crazy children from playing too rough with it!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

please come to our house and train our Sheltie! lol!! You are amazing!

I can't believe that toy said that! lol

Honey the Great Dane said...

Aww....Chewy is just so cute! It's always so interesting watching puppies and how they learn...

2browndawgs said...

Great video and it looks like so much fun!