Friday, May 13, 2011

where'd he come from?

Several people have left comments saying they wanted the story behind Chewy.

Well, first, let me tell you about the dogs that didn't make it to my house.

I began my search for a puppy back in February.  I contacted several local sheltie breeders about upcoming litters, asserting my need for a confident puppy.

In February, I met with a local breeder, who does rally, agility, obedience with her dogs.  She has a lot of experience breeding, and focuses on health, temperament and performance.  I went to her house, met all of her dogs, including the two mom's to be.  They were all very friendly, confident and spirited.

She expected to have two litters ready to go at the end of June.

Everything seemed perfect.  I'd have the whole summer to socialize the puppy, go to agility trials, etc.

OK.  Mother nature didn't cooperate, and the dogs didn't go into heat as planned.  The puppies will now be ready to go home at the end of the summer.

Wasn't going to work for me.

Then, I got a tip from my rally instructor about a 5 month old blue merle girl who was available.  She was teeny tiny, and a little spitfire. 

Jeff and I drove 2 hours to Connecticut to meet her.

Well, she ran and hid under a chair, and wouldn't come near us.

Long drive home.

I started looking on petfinder and contacting rescue groups.  Sheltie puppies are difficult to find in rescue locally.  I did inquire about a couple jack russell pups, only to be told that "they're still in Tennessee, and we don't know if they'll ever make it here, because they could get sick."

I did more searching.  Contacted some more groups. Nothing was really going to fit what I was looking for.

I hemmed and hawed. 

I wanted a puppy. I felt Oreo needed a dog who was smaller than him at first, so he wouldn't feel overwhelmed.  I didn't want a dog who was fearful, because I worried the dog would feed off Oreo's own fears.

For Oreo, I needed a confident puppy, with good genes. 

I had contacted Chewy's breeder in February as well.  She told me her puppies would be ready to go at the end of April.  I initially thought that was too early. 

But, by April, I was ready.  Before we left for St. Thomas, I crossed my fingers, and sent her an email asking if she had any puppies available.

She had one puppy left. 

I knew she was a responsible breeder, with 35 years of experience.  She is well known in the area, and after I got Chewy, I heard from another sheltie breeder that she is "quite famous". 

I didn't really care about fame.  I wanted a healthy, structurally sound, confident, playful puppy.

I went to meet Chewy.     My criteria was that he had to come to me.   I wanted him to display some confidence.

He did. 

The breeder asked me, "Do you like him?"

Duh!

So, that's the long drawn out story.  I was very lucky to get Chewy, and feel like I made the right choice, for this time in my life, for me,

and especially for Oreo.

17 comments:

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

That is a beautiful story.

BrownDog joined our family after a similar search, only for a Chessie past "puppyhood".

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Ludo van Doggy said...

Eeeek! Puppy, omd! How adorable. I've just read back through all the posts and he sounds absolutely perfect for your family. Utterly fearless and really cute. I'm so pleased to hear how he's cheered up Oreo too. I bet they're having great fun with each other!
I'm going through all the procedure of contacting rescues etc at the moment. But not having any luck so far!
Congratulations!

Sophie said...

First of all, the duo header of Oreo and Chewy is just ADORABLE.

It sounds like it was a long wait to get your new puppy, but I think he's all the more perfect for you because of all of that.

Reilly / Bree said...

The right one ALWAYS comes along when the time is right. And Chewy was just waiting for you and Oreo. He is totally adorable and from what we see in the photos and hear you describe - he is EXACTLY what Oreo needed to help his confidence. I see many many happy years ahead.

Diana said...

Im glad you found what was right for your family! Great picture of you and Chewy!

madcobug said...

Looks like he is growing a lot already. Won't be long until he will be as large as Oreo. Helen

houndstooth said...

It looks like a perfect fit to me! And I just want to squeeze him!

Helen said...

That's great story. My first Sheltie Duffy picked me. I went to see the breeder before the puppies were ready to leave their Mom.They were just starting to get the puppies used to outdoors. All five of Duffy's sisters and brothers trundled off to explore the new world. Duffy came over to where I was standing and pulled on my shoe laces. He was mine from that moment.

Sara said...

Awww. what a sweet story about Duffy!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Thanks for the Chewy story! Seems like you lucked out when the first breeder's puppies weren't available in the early summer. Chewy couldn't be more perfect! That photo of you and Chewy is one of the best photos I have ever seen! So cute! Glad he is the right choice for you guys and for Oreo!

Nicki said...

Thanks for looking at rescue dogs. Things like this always have a way of working out. But you should see the sheltie mix pup my friend has up for adoption now! A little stray someone found-super cute (black and white!)

Dawn said...

Awwww...he's perfect for Oreo! We can already see Oreo grinning more. Things just work out.

Priscilla said...

So glad that you found each other. Just see how happy Oreo is, he must be really pleased that you brought Chewy home as they are the best playmates now.
Chewy is definitely the best choice!!!
The photo of you and Chewy is gorgeous!!!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

We love the header!! Oreo and Chewy are the perfect match! They are both so beautiful!!! Lots of love, Holly & mom

Sam said...

Well, we think you picked well! Chewy is adorable, and you can tell in the pictures that Oreo likes him.

Sam

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh, what a gorgeous story! You made the PERFECT choice!!! :-)

GladysCat.com said...

I like Chewy and of course Oreo too. Looking forward to more stories of them.

Followed your blog and will visit you again. :)