Monday, April 18, 2011

misty monday~hiking

Misty loved to go hiking. I would let her off leash, and she would take long stops to sniff. Then, she'd realize I wasn't sniffing with her, and run to catch up with me.

These photos were taken in the woods behind my house during the days after Munchkin had died, and before we brought the annoying black and white thing home.

Those one and a half months were the only time in Misty's life when she was an "only dog".  I tried to give her extra attention and fun adventures, because I knew she was feeling very lonely.  She cried loudly every time we left the house. Poor girl.

We had many fun, adventurous, peaceful walks in the woods during that time. It made me feel good to give her those moments of exploration, because she loved every minute.  It was a time of healing for both of us, as we began our new life without Munchkin.  She was my smile during that sad time. 

Everyday after work, we'd head into the snow filled woods.
"Here I come Ma!"

"This is great, no one else has been here but us and the woodland creatures."

"Why does it seem like it is uphill both ways?"

"Sure would be nice if there were an actual TRAIL!"
Trees and downed limbs were no match for Misty. She would either leap over them, or duck under.  Can't tell you how many times I had to CARRY Munchkin over a log.

13 comments:

Priscilla said...

Misty was such a special girl and she will always be in all our hearts.

I also love her little socks/shoes! They are most adorable!

Katie, Maizey and Magnus said...

I love Misty Mondays! It always makes me think I should do Meeka Mondays. . .

I love the way our pups help us heal. When I started writing Magnus name story, I remembered how searching for a name for him with Meeka by my side helped me grieve just the thought of losing her.

"Then, she'd realize I wasn't sniffing with her. . ." ROFLLL I swear half the time Magnus thinks, "why is she always wanting me to catch up with her? Doesn't she want to sniff these good sniffs??"LOL Thanks for another great post!

Dawn said...

Aww....glad she had that time with you.

Sophie said...

Misty looks like she had so much fun, even if it was cold and she had to wear the little booties. I am glad she got to have fun hiking at that side time.

Reilly / Bree said...

Those are wonderful memeories to have and even better when you have photos to go with them. This is why blogging is so wonderful - it makes us save memories - sometimes without us realizing we are doing it.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It was wonderful to see Misty hiking leash-free in the snowy woods! So glad you had that time together. I think walking without a leash is my absolute favorite thing to do with Ricky so I know how you felt. Misty was such a special girl and I thank you for reminding us each Monday.

Diana said...

How sweet. I love quiet walks in the snow. So peaceful!

Kristine said...

As much as I complain about winter and snow, there is something lovely about walks that time of year. When it is just cold enough.

Lovely photos.

Rob said...

It's a special time when out walking with your dog, I never find dog walking to be a chore and I love to see the fun they have, I can see Misty is loving it out there in the forest and the snow, she can be a proper wolf out there and best of all she doesn't have to worry cos she has her mum with her to make sure she stays safe.

Amy Wood said...

Misty sure did look like she wasn't the least bit slowed down by those fallen limbs :) Glad you have those memories of just you and her together!

Kathy said...

OOOOh Misty was such a sweet girl, such a special girl, love relving her life and memories on Mondays!

betty said...

..and miles to go before she rest
These are precious moments that you share with us. Thank you.

madcobug said...

I love those pictures. I miss seeing Misty and hearing about her. Helen