Tuesday, February 1, 2011

tricky t-day~twist

I had my swiffer mop out to play limbo with the dogs, and it reminded me of Ricky's cane tricks.  So, we started messing around with doing an enlarged figure 8 trick.  Oreo caught onto that pretty quick, now we are working on doing the whole trick in reverse.  Still have a ways to go with that one.  Although, once we get our heeling down, it should be easier,because I won't have to resort to luring.

This was supposed to be last week's tricky-t-day.  You'll see Misty in the background of this video.  I was going to reshoot the whole thing, but thought again.  What's wrong with seeing Misty?  Sadly, she was working on this trick too, but wasn't feeling up to doing it when I shot the video.

http://vimeo.com/19071496

 Yesterday, I received a card in the mail from my regular vet.  I was wondering what it could be, because they had already sent a sympathy card.

It was  a card saying a donation had been made to the Arbor Day Foundation, and a tree will be planted & registered in Plumas National Forest in honor of Misty. I thought that was so sweet.  I admit, I had to google Plumas National Forest, to find out where it was!  Turns out it's in California.  A long way to go to visit Misty's tree, but the forest suffered damage due to fires recently.  Misty's regal presence is needed there.

14 comments:

Dawn said...

Yes she was regal. I couldn't stop watching her during the video...she was swaying in support of Oreo's movement. It was sweet. And sad. Maybe plant a tree in your own yard, or at a park near you for her. She'd like that.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oreo is doing great with that trick!! You're teaching him with three legs - your two and the cane - when we did it, I used only one of my legs and the cane - so you are making it more intricate! We used tons of luring on this one too. Seemed unavoidable! :)

I loved seeing Misty in the video. And it was wonderful for your vet to have a tree planted in Misty's name! What a wonderful idea and another way for her to live on.

LauraK said...

Misty is so cute watching you two do your thing :) Very fun trick for Oreo to learn, I'm sure he'll be swinging all over in no time :) What an awesome idea that your vet has- who would have thought that Misty's legacy would carry on in California? Too cool!

Kathy said...

Wow, Oreo is doing FANTASTIC. Good job!!! What a great soul Misty was, how wonderful she is being commemorated like that, she touched a lot of lives, what a special girl!

Priscilla said...

We've been trying to do figure 8's with Eva for a while now. She still doesn't get it! DOH!

It's so very sweet of the vet to plant a tree in remembrance of Misty. What a great way of replanting trees too!

Ludo van Doggy said...

He is such a star as always! It was quite emotional seeing Misty in the background. I feel like that's how it will always be for you, having her there, watching over the two of you.

Kristine said...

That is truly a lovely idea. How kind. It's lovely knowing her memory will live on on the other side of the country as well.

This trick is genius! I never thought of teaching it backwards. Looks like Shiva and I have some work to do.

Reilly / Bree said...

Oreo did great with that and it was wonderful to see Misty too, she was such a pretty girl

madcobug said...

Oreo is doing great. Misty wanted to join in but just couldn't make it. Your vet is very caring to have a tree planted in her name. I agree that you should plant your own tree also.
Helen

Rob said...

Hi Sara, I'm surprised Oreo didn't go dizzy! I think dogs do well to walk backwards as it doesn't seem to come natural to them at all. It's nice to know Misty has a tree planted for her.

Nicki said...

What a lovely memorial. When Oreo died my friends gave me a tree-but it's in our yard so I can see it!

Helen said...

Wonderful trick, you have so much patience. The only tricks Beckett knows is agility; Tucker, an Agility Trial Champion, can only shake a paw.

Lovely to see Misty.

Marie said...

I love the idea of the tree in Misty's name. What a cool thing to do!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Aw...how lovely to have a tree in Misty's memory - and a nice card from your vet! They're great!

And Oreo is just picking up the trick so fast as usual! Great watching him!

Hsin-Yi (& Honey the Great Dane)