Tuesday, February 15, 2011

tricky t-day ~ heelstuff

OK, here is our heeling update.  I feel we are almost ready to start step 5 of the 7 step process, and we have one week to go until our rally class. 

Oreo knows the position, now we have to add more steps, high head, and duration. Step 7 is adding the high legs kicks and very high head, I'm OK if we don't get to that point by Saturday.

Many people suggested feeding Oreo from my left hand to help get him into position.  Boy, did I try!  However, it freaked Oreo out.  He is so used to me feeding from my right hand, I think it scared him when my left hand came to his face.  He would immediately jump out of position!

My little sensitive dog, notices every change!

Anyway, here is where we were this past Saturday. I threw in a little footage of us doing eye contact drills.  I wish I had a before video of that, because Oreo is doing so well, compared to where we came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD-MIXOQ5qU

I went back and watched our two previous heeling videos, and boy, have we made progress!

My main concern is will Oreo be able to generalize this trick to other places.  We've worked on it in different rooms of the house. I'd like to take it outdoors, but the paths I shoveled in the yard are very narrow. One of us would get a snow rash.

We saw Oreo's behaviorist yesterday....I'll be posting an update on that in a couple days! Our plan has changed a bit.

12 comments:

Sam said...

Awesome - and he really looks like he's enjoying it.

I feed out of my right hand - I curl my hand over my head and drop the treat to Marge so that it doesn't push back my left shoulder by curling by body around to treat her.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oreo looks great! He has improved a lot - his position looks good and his attention is awesome!!

Our snow is finally almost gone here but I know what you mean about wanting to generalize the tricks - maybe you could try a pet store? That would be tough for Oreo but a good experience maybe?

I'll be interested to hear about your latest behaviorist appt.

Diana said...

Wow, you guys are doing awesome!

houndstooth said...

I love his attention on you! That's a lot different from what we get from the hounds! He looks great, as far as I'm concerned.

Brittany said...

He looks great! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Dawn said...

He looks great! I use the pet store to practice heeling with Katie. It's a very difficult thing to do...she focuses on me about 30% of the time

Rob said...

Hi Sara, you are right about him sticking close to you. I reckon now he has the hang of it you will soon get him to do it outdoors and other places.

Priscilla said...

Oreo is such a good boy! His heelwork is very near perfect. I really admire the time and effort and patience you have put on this!! It's a trick which when you master it, you have this great feeling of accomplishment!!

Honey the Great Dane said...

Ooh - couldn't watch the video here but went to watch it on Youtube...

Great Work! Oreo is such a great worker - so keen and focused and enthusiastic!

And I love the eye contact drills - I'd never thought of trying that with Honey - "Watch" is one command I have been pretty slack on...you've inspired me to give it a try now!

Hsin-Yi

Kathy said...

Looks great, I cant wait to read the update on your trip to the behavioralist! Looks like things are coming along so well! Oreo will be a rally super star!

Amy Wood said...

Wow! He did really great in the video. Oreo is beautiful. New to your blog and looking forward to following your journey!

Marie said...

Oreo looks great! I think by the time the Rally class starts you two are going heeling pros!