Sunday, January 30, 2011

passed on sheltie traditions

My first sheltie, Munchkin, was quite the barker. Especially when we left or came home.  He'd stand on the back of the couch so he could bark while looking out the big window.

that's Munchkin on the left, Misty on the right
Kindly, he passed this tradition to Misty, who then, in turn, passed it to Oreo. 

Yes, we will always have a dog in the window, thanks to Munchkin & Misty.

Misty had some quirks of her own, which Oreo quickly picked up on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjn2DSYeBGU


OK, Oreo has never scratched at the computer stand, but he does bark at the garage door.

I made this video a long time ago, but for some reason (embarrassment?) never shared it. Now, I'm glad I have video of Misty barking. I miss that voice.

Now if only Misty had taught Oreo how to be quiet when I vacuum, ignore the dust rag, and not attack the broom. Guess Misty wasn't a miracle worker.

She said, "I'm going to leave those lessons for you Ma."

"Don't forget, I always kept an eye on the road."

"Just like Munchkin taught me."


"I taught Oreo this important job.  Now, you will always have a sheltie on the lookout."
 

13 comments:

Diana said...

Awww, that so sweet. Its so nice that you took lots of video of just everyday life. Simple things we forget to enjoy. Thanks for the reminder.

Sophie said...

Dogs are the best kind of teachers! I'm sure Oreo will see to it that you always some of have Misty's (and Munchkin's) quirky behaviour around the house.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I love the thought of nice behaviors being passed down from Sheltie to Sheltie but not the bad behaviors - LOL! The watching the road is so sweet but scratching the tv stand, not so much! I keep thinking I will eradicate all of Ricky's bad behaviors before I get another puppy - HA!

Your video of strange things Shelties bark at makes Ricky seem a lot more normal!

Love that you keep sharing videos and photos of Misty!

LauraK said...

That is so nice that you have little things like that to remind you of Misty and Munchkin. Our dogs so kindly taught the others to bark at the doorbell- funny how they pass things on to each other :)

Dawn said...

I love the idea that Misty taught Oreo all the important responsibilities before she left. So good to see pictures and video of her too. Thanks for sharing.

Ludo van Doggy said...

Their legacy will live on. Oreo will teach the next one and so on. Penny has taught Ludo to back at the mail. :)

Priscilla said...

It's a sheltie thing! Eva learnt all these naughty traits from Hana and Laura! Shelties are such special dogs with their little quirks.

I'm so glad we aren't the only ones with crazy barking shelties :P LOL

Helen said...

Those are priceless memories. My first Sheltie Duffy went deaf and as a result began to bark when I got up quickly thinking it was someone at the door. So what is another thing that you get up quickly for... to answer the phone. Now all of my Shelties have barked when the phone rings. Ceilidh also taught Beckett to bark at the lawn mower, unfortunatle she didn't teach him when it was time to stop.

Helen

Nicki said...

Oddly enough, although Lyric never knew Oreo, she does a lot of things that remind me of him. ALthough I wasn't "ready" for another dog when she came along, apparently I sure "needed" one. I don't know what I would have done without her.

Reilly / Bree said...

It is like history repeating itself, what a great way to pass on memories and behavior.

Rob said...

Hi Sara, I love the video, it's funny what dogs find to bark at, I will have to post one of Tommy's fav things to bark at one day.

bigdogzola.com said...

Hi Sara - I'm Zola - a new doggie on the blog-block. My human and I just stopped by to visit your blog and ended up staying on it watching all your clever Tricky-T day videos and everyday capers. I've been a bit shy so haven't really said hello to many fab doggie blogs..but would like to put you on my small blogroll of friends list if that ok. Compliments to you for your fab videos, posts & photos..super..My human is inspired to do some tricky t day videos - Uh-oh!! Where did the tricky t day idea come from?
Hope we can keep in touch. Greetings from a faraway place without snow!

Kathy said...

I wonder if Misty thought the sound from the garage door somehow came from the tv stand, she sure looked like she was doing something, what a sweet girl. Shelties are fantastic barkers arent they?