Thursday, December 30, 2010

my merlie girlie

A few weeks ago, Jeff & I thought we might be giving Misty "the needle" the day after Christmas, which was how things went for our dog Munchkin.

Misty looked horrible, could barely walk, and sadly, stopped grunting during belly and back rubs.  Jeff and I would rub and rub her back, hoping to hear a tiny sound of contentment, but it was as though Misty had no feeling left in her body. Her eyes were bloodshot, her back end swayed in the wind. I had a good cry at one point, prepping myself to let go.

Silly me.

Misty is back.  She's no spring chicken, but her personality is shining through her eyes again.  She's lifting her back leg up for "pit scratches", doing deep, long grunts when we massage her back and belly, humping the couch pillows after dinner, and barking at us to get up and feed her in the morning.

I know, sometimes, dogs get better right before they get worse, so I am really stopping to appreciate these moments.  Have you noticed there have been lots of Misty photos on the blog lately?
Doesn't she look good?
I've also started charting Misty's eating/peeing/pooping behavior, supplements/medications, energy level, ball work, and an "other" column.  I'm hoping this will help me notice any changes early, see improvements, and learn what's working and what isn't.


Kathy & Marie suggested getting Misty the fitpaws disc.  It came in the mail yesterday, and Misty couldn't wait to get on the thing.
"It's mine Oreo.  For once, something is for ME!"
Misty is now doing 5 minutes a day on top of our yellow peanut ball.  All she can really do is stand on top and an occasional head turn, but I can see her entire body working.  We'll start adding the disc to our morning workout.

We went in for the dogs' acupuncture treatment this week.  Our vet told me that Misty feels much better than our last visit.  That was so good to hear.

She also validated my concern that many of Misty's recent problems were due to a negative reaction she had from the last antibiotic.   She was glad to hear I was doing the ball work with Misty, and told me it would help Misty a lot.

I spoke with my regular vet regarding my hesitations about the next set of procedures.  She told me, "If you don't want to do it, then don't.  It's not invasive, but it is still surgery.  We can treat this conservatively."

For now, I am going to forgo any more procedures.  Misty is really starting to get nervous about going to the vet, and I think adding any stress to her life right now would cause more harm than good.

By the way, I tried standing on the fitpaws disc, and fell off a couple times.  Maybe it is easier if you have 4 legs?

17 comments:

Dawn said...

I let a deep breath out when I got to the Silly Me part. Enjoy Misty...she's such a special girl!

Diana said...

Oh gosh Sara ,I'm so sorry . I'm glad that didnt happen.

I think keeping records is a really good idea. Sometimes things start to change and we don't really notice it because it's so gradual.

I tried standing on a disk similar to that and couldn't do it either. LOL

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I too was so relieved when I got to "silly me"! It's amazing that Misty is doing well again - all the things you are doing with her are helping and that is awesome! The fitpaws disc was a great idea!

She does look really really good in the photos!

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Hit comment too soon...

I have tears in my eyes because I can really see your love for Misty through your post and I am so glad that you are enjoying all of your time with her down to the last drop. I hope she has lots of healthy time ahead of her.

Your dedication to her is really showing through your mental logging, your consideration of how she's feeling about going to the vet, etc. I don't think there's ANY wrong decision you can make for her regarding treatment. She looks very happy to me.. and that's what counts the most when you're a teenaged pup. :)

Priscilla said...

Oh Sara!! I had to read the first sentence over and over again to digest it fully. But relief flooded over when I read 'silly me'.

I too have tears in my eyes from reading this. I love Misty. She's my favourite sweet girlie and how I wish that she would live forever and ever!!!

I'm so happy to hear that she got better. That's a good sign. It's great that you are keeping records. I think it will really help you.

Know that no matter what you do, we'll always be here to support you.

new hip dad said...

I had to use something like the disk when I was in rehab for my hip. It was the hardest thing I did.

AC said...

Oh Sara, this was hard to read but it's good to hear that Misty is still hanging in there, enjoying life.

It sounds like you're making each step 100% about Misty and I'm sure she's thanking you for that.

I agree with you about the stress. I actually pulled Kona out from a vet hospitalization once even when the vet wanted to keep her for at least another night because her GI system was stilled messed up. The tech at the counter was kind of peeved with me but I knew that Kona would continue to have diarrhea so long as she stayed so stressed.

Being comfortable and loved is a powerful medicine.

LauraK said...

Penny had a rough day the other day too- and it's just plain scary to think about not having her here. I'm glad that Misty bounced back and is enjoying her fitpaws disc- your dogs sure have the life! She really does look great for her age, and I'm sure it's because of your love and dedication to their health. Hope she continues to moan and groan her enjoyment at pit scratching time :)

Kathy said...

I did not realize things had gotten quite so hard for Misty before Christmas, but boy I am soooo happy to hear that she has rallied and is feeling better-what a relief. Misty is so lucky to have such a caring family -and you are lucky to have such a wonderful friend!

Kristine said...

I am so sorry Misty and you have been having a difficult time lately but am so glad she seems to be feeling a bit more like herself. That's great news! And a wonderful chance to create some more fantastic memories together. She looks gorgeous in her photos, naturally, and I hope you will be able to take many many many more.

Those discs are awesome, aren't they? She looks like she's handling it with ease!

Rob said...

Hi Sara, I'm very pleased to hear that Misty continues to improve.

Helen said...

You had me scared, I know that feels when you have to make that final decision.

So glad Misty is feeling muchh better.

Let's hope that 2011 will be good for both Tucker and Misty.

Nicki said...

Glad she's feeling better. Enjoy all the time you have.

Marie said...

I'm so glad that Misty is feeling so much better now. I had to laugh when you were talking about trying to stand on the fitpaws disc. I have trouble trying to balance while sitting on it. LOL Dare on the other hand doesn't even seem to notice that she's balancing. Maybe four legs does have something to do with it.

Lian said...

Oh Sara, you gave me heart attack by reading the first para! I am so glad Misty girl is still here with us. Give her a big big hug from all of us xxx

madcobug said...

Yes I have noticed more Misty pictures. I am so glad that she is better. I know you are so proud of her. Helen