Saturday, November 20, 2010

...and the results



I stuck to my plans at our league match, and I'd say our results were better than I expected.

Oreo was quite confident while waiting in "The hole" for his turn for standard. He kept butting his head through the flexi gate trying to get in the ring while the other dogs were running. He definitely knew why we were there.

When it was our turn, I told the judge, "We're just training."

He said, "What do you mean just training? There's nothing wrong with training."

OK, so off to it. We were in/out of the ring in 20-30 seconds. I could hear people from our shy dog seminar cheering every time I treated Oreo on the course.

Afterward, one told me that Oreo looked so happy during the run. I agreed. He ran fast, didn't skip any obstacles, or stop on the teeter to look around. He did some side glances, but never any rubber necking.

He was a bit more nervous in the hole on the games run. I think it was because the judge was shouting out points to the scribe. Still, Oreo was able to do some sits & hand touches.

Again, we were in/out quickly, and Oreo did the loop happily.

I was thrilled. Even more thrilled with his stress level in and around the building. I used our tool box to deal with walking past the line of cars, and it worked. He didn't seem to care much about other people walking their dogs around us, even men. He noticed them, kept an eye out, but wasn't a basket case. In fact, at one point, Oreo spotted a man, sat down and looked at me - waiting for his treat. A completely different dog than I brought there last year, where he would be in panic mode in the parking lot.

After submitting my last log, my behaviorist wrote that Oreo "is starting to recognize there are other behaviors besides ultimate panic". Wow. What a concept. I'm so glad I trusted her, and have been working so diligently, despite having some doubts at first. Today, I saw first hand that he has changed, even if it is a small change that only I would notice. I hope Oreo continues to make more gains in confidence.

12 comments:

betty said...

Well done Sara and Oreo. We feel good with you.

Diana said...

That is just so wonderful. Great job Sara!! Diana

madcobug said...

A big hand to Oreo and to you. Glad that he done well. Helen

Priscilla said...

So happy for you and Oreo!!!
What a great improvement he's made in such a short time.

Dawn said...

Good job Mr. Oreo! See? Life is better when you're not in total panic! Go ask your Mom for another treat. You deserve it!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Great job Oreo and Sara! I thought your plan for the two runs was awesome and then you stuck to it and Oreo did so well! Good for you! I am so happy to hear he is doing better in the environment in general too. That comment from your behaviorist is wonderful - the plan is working!!!!

When walking Ricky today and as he was having a supreme meltdown as a car went by, I thought, "I wonder what Oreo's behaviorist would tell me to do about Ricky?" I am really glad you have someone you trust to work with!

Ludo van Doggy said...

This is amazing! Great results. I think like Ricky's Mom. I wish we could all have someone like that.

AC said...

Woo-hoo!! So good to hear! I'm beaming in pride for Oreo (am I allowed the pride beam for someone else's dog?) Your experience with your behaviorist pushed me to look into options near me. We have a vet behaviorist down in San Diego that I just might rob the piggy bank for...my only concern is that it doesn't look like the initial consultation comes with free follow-up help, which seems so important...

LauraK said...

I agree with AC- I am so proud of Oreo too! What a little superstar!!!! (and hats off to the great handler he has as well!)

Marie said...

Way to go you two! I'm thrilled to hear that things went so well today and that you are seeing progress. I think it's just going to continue!

Sara said...

AC,
The follow up consults are so helpful, especially because, as you know, this is an evolving process. She tells me which tools to keep "in reserve" for realy scary moments, and which to use for more everyday stuff, etc. Plus, I can ask her questions, which pop up over the course of time.

My behaviorist did have a vet teach who had her APDT cert. working with her at out initial consult. Maybe yours will too. Follow up consults would surely be cheaper with that person, if its not included.

Rob said...

Hi Sara, I'm pleased to read that Oreo did well and enjoyed himself and you can't blame him for keeping a close eye on those scary men as you well know what some of them can be like.