Friday, November 5, 2010

all lined up

The other day, I went in the basement to throw some sheets in the dryer. I was about to go up the stairs when I glanced to my left and saw this:
IMAG0214
If you know Jeff, this many bikes won't surprise you. We've had more in our basement at the same time. I think the record may be 7, or was it 9? However, I didn't realize he currently had 4 (5 if you count the half built chopper in the background). My guess would have been 3. Although, I knew he bought 2 bikes in the past two weeks. That means nothing, because things get sold as fast as they get bought around here. Honestly, I can't keep track. When, Jeff says, "I have to sell that Buell," I think, "Now, which one is that?" I don't say that. I nod, as if I pay attention.

What made me laugh, when I saw this foursome, was how Jeff lined them all up, like they do in the stores. Exactly the same way my nephew lined his match box cars up when he was 2. Theo had to have all his cars just right. We couldn't dare touch one! We'd mess up the perfection he'd created.

I'm sure Jeff thought the order out carefully. This arrangement wasn't made haphazardly. I'm no biker chick, but even I can see the similarity between the army green bike and the orange one. Surely, they had to be next to each other. I do believe they are going from smallest to biggest.

This set up took time, precision, and lots of moving stuff around. Perhaps even, dare I say it, a dust rag. I can see Jeff stepping back to make sure all the front tires are even, and turned the right way. Adjusting the mirrors. Making sure there is the same amount of space between each bike. Symmetry is very important in Jeffland.

Now, I know why, when Jeff says, "I'm going to the basement", he's down there for a very long time. Jeff has to make sure all his toys are lined up just right. Match box toys for grown ups.

Happy Birthday Jeff!

12 comments:

Dawn said...

awww....symmetry is very important to my husband too. Maybe it's a guy thing. Great photo!

Lian said...

This post reminded me of Colin asking me last how many shelties did we have? We lined them all up, mine + visitors = 14!

Happy Birthday Jeff, hope you have a great one!

Diana said...

Happy Birthday Jeff!

Its that attention to detail that makes him so good at his job/hobby/passion. Diana

Rob said...

Hi Sara, for sure there is a man with a plan down your basement. Were you not tempted to jiggle them round a little bit LOL!

new hip dad said...

let's just say I don't think it is a guy thing. I'd be happy if they fit. happy birthday jeff. how much older is he now than you sara?

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Happy Birthday Jeff!! Very impressive neat and clean and organized work space!

Noah said...

BOL! Happy Birthday Jeff.

Kathy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF!!! Now your secret is out though that when Jeff talks about the latest bike and what is going on,....he might know you might not be paying rapt attention, LOL. I have to say you two sound like the cutest couple.

betty said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEFF.

Joan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF....
I have the most perfect card for you unfortunately it is in a box at home and I am here in NJ. I'll get it in the mail when I get back. Hope you have a wonderful day.

Priscilla said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Jeff!

Your display is really impressive! I'm sure Sara is very proud of you!
What a lovely couple you are with your two lovely doggies : )

Patti and DeBoys said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jeff!

Sara...we do believe his display of bikes are his version of a 'START LINE STAY'...LOL