Friday, October 22, 2010

you mean I'm historic?

Today, I got the latest American Girl catalog (a really cool doll company) in the mail, and to my horror, discovered that I am now considered to be from a historic era!

Yes folks. The American Girl Company is now making a doll, Julie, from the "historic era" of 1974.

Ummmm. I think I had this outfit.


Here's Julie's Christmas dress. American Girl must have looked through our old Christmas photos, because it looks just like the printed velvet dresses my mom made my sister and me one year. The only difference is ours were a different color.

You can buy lots of fun accessories for Julie, so she's never bored. Like this banana seat bike. Gosh, I ALWAYS wanted a banana seat bike:
Never got one. Nope, my dad insisted I have a "real bike" instead. Didn't matter that I never fit in with all the other kids on the street.

Never had a metal lunch box either.
I had a homemade cloth one. A humiliating experience looking at my blue cloth bag amongst all the metal ones in the cubby holes.

I did have the privilege of owning these though. Ahhh, cassettes. Don't you miss them? Hitting eject when a song became annoying gave such satisfaction! How do kids record songs off the radio these days?

And I definitely spent A LOT of time in these. Around and around the basement we went.

OK, maybe it was a long time ago. But historic? Their previous doll is Molly, from 1944. Aren't there a few eras in between?

My guess? It may have something to do with marketing. Maybe they are banking on the moms who are making the, not so inexpensive, purchases reliving their childhood through their daughters' dolls. Or maybe they're hoping to cash in on me!

12 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Mom doesn't want to brag but she had a banana seat bike AND a metal lunch box! LOL!

Sara said...

Must be nice!

Can you believe I turned out as well as I did, being I was so deprived? LOL.

Rob said...

Oh there was nothing worse than being sent off to school that made you stand out like a sore thumb. I never did figure out how to tell mum that the sweater she spent weeks making made me a dork and attracted the attention of the bullies. Thats a good question - how do you record music off the radio? I thini there are probably other ways these days. Whatever I bet they aren't half as much fun.

Diana said...

Some days I feel historic. LOL My sister had a banana seat bike. I had a regular bike. Who knows why. Its funny and amazing how much technology has changed. Diana

Helen said...

That doll looks like Marsha Brady, was that the 70's? I never had a banana seat bike either. My Mum won a boy's bike at bingo once and that's what I had until I got a ten speed. My dad did put banana seats on my first bike for my younger sisters. I don't think kids record songs off the radio, they just download it. But some days I do feel ancient.

One Dog, One Camera said...

LOL awwww I remember the American Girl dolls! I got/still have Samantha! Oh I remember that Christmas :)

LauraK said...

Haha that's great! I get those catalogs very randomly as well. I have one of those dolls from when I was in elementary school in Missouri, but I have no idea how they found me out in Colorado lol. I'll be looking forward to seeing my "era" doll here in a few years- too funny!

verobirdie said...

We are definitively of the same era! :-)

Dawn said...

Well, sadly the 70's were not a great time for fashion. I had a metal lunch box though...lucky me! No banana seat on my bike...but at least I had a bike!

I don't think we're historic. I think we are just age challenged.

Priscilla said...

Oh dear, I think I belong to the dinosaur era if this little girl is from the 70s.

Slightly different fashions over here as it's more oriental design during that time. However, I think it's more or less the same as I'd the metal lunch box, not banana seat bike as well, but something looked like it too.

Kathy said...

hahahhahah, remember hitting the eject on a cassette and the tape would stick in the machine as the cassette spat out, the tape would unravel everywhere, LOL. And Bananna seat bikes, you mean those are not still popular, LOL, and gosh metal lunch boxes...

Marie said...

I can't believe this is considered historic. LOL What a hoot.