Saturday, October 23, 2010

training challenge - working the plan 2

I know many people are taking a break from the training challenge, and I probably will too. However, Oreo is constantly being challenged. We can almost write about something daily.

This week, I'm posting a before and after video.

First is a video I shot for our behaviorist. It is how Oreo typically reacts to my neighbor's kids being in the yard. This was shot a few weeks ago, before our consultation. The behaviorist said that Oreo looked quite distressed with the intense circling. I agree.

I never planned to post this video, it's not something I'm proud of. But you can't see how far we've come, if you don't know where we've been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1538aFCtIA
(There is a lot of barking in this video, if you need to turn your sound off)


Well here is what happened today while two kids, one on an electric car, the other one yelling for their loose dog, were in the yard. Throw in their Dad working on the mammoth tree house, right on our property line, and the results were nothing short of amazing. At least to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_M6CSD8Zo

I'm not sure if Oreo can do this every time. He had some really high anxiety moments with the kids last weekend. However, I didn't bring out the target until today.

When the video ends, I brought Oreo inside right away. I don't want to overdo it. You can tell Oreo is still well aware there are people around, but I think he was doing much better coping.

11 comments:

Priscilla said...

Wow! Oreo is such a little trooper!
Good on him! I'm so happy for both of you. I can't wait to see him improving more and more!

Kathy said...

Wow, Sara you and Oreo are amazing-no other way to say it! Isnt it funny how fast change can happen when you come up with a great plan. The improvement is soooo amazing-and you rock for having faith and knowing you guys could do it!!!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Awesome Sara!! Oreo is doing so well! It is great that you have a plan and can see it working already. Half the battle is having the plan and knowing how to proceed. The official training challenge may be on break but we are all still working on challenges every day too so don't feel that you are alone out there! Congratulations on making such amazing progress and thanks for inspiring us yet again!

AC said...

I love reading your posts about "the plan" progress. I think it's great to have before and after videos. You really get to see how far you've come. Keep at it Team Oreo!

Nicki said...

Poor Oreo, he's gonna be so much happier now that he's learning to relax!

Dawn said...

Wow. I watched it without sound, so as not to raise the anxiety level in my own girl. But I could see the difference for sure. In the second video Oreo's much more focused. It's like "HEY MOM! I'm stepping on the target..I touched the target! Hey Mom!"

andrea said...

can't see videos unless I'm at work but I can't wait to see thei difference

congratulations :)

Diana said...

what a difference. Great job! Diana

Marie said...

You two are doing such a great job. It's wonderful to see so much progress so quickly!

Freda said...

Have just found your blog and am thoroughly enjoying getting to know you and the dogs. Wordless Wednesday is absolute magic. Thanks for brightening my day.

Brittany said...

Sara, you are so amazing to be working so hard to help Oreo with this! He looks like he is trying so hard to control himself, and get over the anxieties. Good job!