Thursday, October 7, 2010

shy dog seminar


Our shy dog seminar was the best one we've been to yet. I definitely went home feeling good.

A lot of the seminar was talking. A ton of valuable information. Stress signs in/out of the ring, having a "reset", having a four step process at a trial....

I don't want to go into much detail. The instructor video taped the entire seminar, and plans to market it. I don't think it would be fair to her to divulge the information (but I'm sure you may notice, in future posts, new things I'm doing!).

We started off in the building doing jumps and tunnels, then went outside to do full courses in the afternoon. All the sequences we did in the building will be featured in an article in DogSport magazine in January. We were lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the article and try the sequences with the author!

All the dogs at the seminar exhibited stress in a different way. I learned I was one of the lucky ones. Other dogs ran away from their handler. Stopped dead in their tracks and disconnected. Went off and sniffed. Oreo always stays right with me. Someone said it is because I'm "Oreo's safety".

Well, what a good thing to be.

I left feeling I've been doing everything right with Oreo, but I could step it up a notch. Plus, I got some new ideas to try and important concepts to keep in mind when working with my sensitive dog. I left feeling hopeful. The instructor has had two dogs who are pretty much carbon copies of Oreo. Both have been able to work through their stress, and overcome it to an extent.


Even Oreo had a good day. Usually he is wiped out and stressed out by seminars, but this one was just right for him. He was even willing to do jump for joys in the late afternoon.

The instructor said that working with a stressed dog is twice as hard. Other people only have to think about handling, while we have to think about handling AND how to keep our dogs happy.

I guess we could all give ourselves a pat on the back for that.

11 comments:

Noah said...

Glad to hear it was a positive experience. Hope this is just the ticket for Oreo. Continued good luck.

Ludo van Doggy said...

Yay! Glad it went well for you!

Dawn said...

You are just the best mama for Oreo! Glad it worked out so well! He is just so lucky to have you!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like a wonderful seminar! How great to be with an instructor who totally understands your issues and with people who have similar problems. Glad you got so much out of it and that Oreo did so well there.

We know what you mean -it is hard to think about your handling and manage a stressed dog or cheerlead a less-than motivated dog.

Diana said...

Thats so great to hear! I can wait to find out more. And Im so glad Oreo did well even up to the end. Diana

Jules said...

I can't wait to hear more as different things trickle out in your posts. It is true - it is a balancing act when you have a sensitive pup.

Priscilla said...

Yay. It sounds like your seminar was worth it.
I'm so glad Oreo had a fun time there too. What a great place to go for stressed out dogs! And you're so lucky to be Oreo's safety. How I wish I could be Eva's :)

andrea said...

That's FABULOUS :)
so glad you both got lots out of it

pat pat pat

cheers!

Kathy said...

Glad you had a good seminar. I hear people all the time say oooh I could never run a fast dog it would be too hard, but having been in both positions....when i ran with my dogs that were stressed I was so much more exhausted, and there was so much more to think about, I definitely think the presenter was right about that, you should give yourself a pat on the back!

Marie said...

That's so cool! I'm dying to hear who the seminar was with and also can't wait to get my next Dogsport magazine to see your agility exercises!

Nicki said...

My Oreo would always be so stressed, I know what you mean about doing double duty!