Saturday, October 9, 2010

run thrus


Yesterday afternoon, Oreo and I went to run thrus at our school. It was a fundraiser to help one of our classmates, whose dog had been attacked by a bear.

We did two standard runs and one jumpers run.

Oreo was on fire in our first run. He ran fast, and I was able to click for speed. I think he was almost annoyed by my clicks. He looked at me as if to say, "Now? I was kinda in the middle of something mom!"

He even jumped his contact on the dogwalk! He never does that.

It was so much fun!

Then, to prove he wasn't cured of his stress issues.....

On our second run, we ran the harder course. We got off to a fast start, I made sure to praise Oreo before he started up the dogwalk, because my teacher's husband was running his dog in the games ring. Men's voices(and children's) stress Oreo out. Unfortunately, despite my praise and encouragement, Oreo stopped on top of the dogwalk, rubbernecked and watched them for a second. I clicked when he reoriented to me, then praised him before entering the poles. Oreo must have still been stressed, because he popped out after about 5 poles, then ran in the tunnel instead of going up the A-frame. The tunnel seemed to destress Oreo, and the rest of our run was speedy and happy.

On over to the games ring. It was a really fun jumpers course, with a serpentine and pinwheel. Oreo ran like the wind. I had planned a front cross before the pinwheel, but Oreo was AHEAD of me. So, I thought I'd run on the outside, but since Oreo was plowing ahead, I slipped to the inside of the jumps instead. I spent the next few jumps trying to catch up with him. He was heading toward a tunnel, when he stopped, looked back at me, as if to say, "Tell me what to do mom!" We almost crashed, so I said, "Tunnel!" After the tunnel, he got ahead of me again, and he crossed the finish line before me.

How fun was that? I felt bad, because I didn't give Oreo any treats on course, but I think the entire run was self rewarding for him. He was getting a natural high off the speed and jumps.

Oh, if only every run could be like that! It's runs like that that show me how much Oreo loves agility. If only we could do all our runs in a bubble.

Since that's not possible, we'll keep plugging along, working through the stress, and hopefully, one day, be able to have runs like that more often.

9 comments:

LauraK said...

That's terrible that your friends' dog got attacked by a bear- how scary!

Sounds like you two had an educational time at your seminar and that you're using a lot of the techniques.

Go Oreo Go!! You're making your mama proud!

Dawn said...

I don't think you have to worry about food treats during a run...I think he's more action driven. Now if it was MISTY...well...different dog different story! :)

I'm glad you both had fun. He's such a great dog! Raised by a great Mom, so go figure.

Diana said...

Thats so great! Im glad you guys had fast and fun runs!!
Sorry about the friends dog who was attacked by a bear. How horrible. Diana

Kathy said...

OMG a bear attach, wow, I can not imagine how terrifying that would be. Sounds like a fantstic day, GOOO OREO! Glad he had such a good time.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Yay for Oreo!! Glad he had two super fast and fun runs! Isn't it amazing when your dog is AHEAD of you? That is the most awesome feeling!

Sorry to hear about the bear attack - awful! Hope the dog will be ok.

Nicki said...

Sounds like a fun event. But wow, attacked by a bear. That's scary!

Priscilla said...

Glad that both of you had so much fun there. Oreo is a super duper star now! So proud of him that he had this super fast runs. He's AMAZING, isn't he?

So sorry about the bear attack incident. Hope the dog is okay!

katie said...

"He even jumped his contact on the dogwalk! He never does that. . . It was so much fun!"

Hi sara, so I am an extreme novice to agility but if I understand right normally it would be "so much fun" if a dog nailed their contact on the dog walk. Anyways, I hope this isn't too strange, but what I love about dog people is how so many times it is seeing our dogs thrilled and having fun that is the most rewarding to us.;)

I just started following your blog and am loving it as I have a nervous girl I am trying to help. Thanks for sharing oreo's story!

Sara said...

I never thought about how ironic that sentence might sound!

Yes, I guess I do root for my cautious boy to make mistakes. For Oreo, speed equates confidence, and I'd rather see him happy and making mistakes, than nervous and perfect anyday.