Tuesday, August 3, 2010

tricky t-day ~ proof we can do it

OK, not a real trick this week. We've been very busy, between camp, RP, and out of town visitors, not much trick time.

I'm still steaming a bit about the jump grid fiasco at camp. I've made a pact with Oreo not to let him down like that again.

I decided to try some of the exercises in the yard. I think he did them successfully. We'll continue to work on them, and gradually raise the bars to full height. The only one I didn't set up was turning through three jumps. I'll post a video later in the week to show you that one.

Even in the yard, my dog doesn't have a solid stay, especially when a target is involved! I had to put the target down at the last second. Even so, Oreo often got to the target before I had a chance to load it. But Oreo had a blast, and that is all I care about.

Sorry about the angry music, but it fit my mood. Plus, Oreo and I like to jam to this song in the car on the way to agility. It seemed to fit the events related to the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Sbs7tsCAk

I put each pass in slo-mo, after the regular view. We are supposed to be looking for the "bounce". I thought Oreo was getting it, but I welcome opinions/advice of others! I am no expert.

Sadly, the slo-mo video is even faster than his real time at camp. Poor dog.

13 comments:

Priscilla said...

I'm no expert too but Oreo's hindlegs seem to know what they're doing!

Diana said...

He looks really good going thur the jumps. I didnt know jump grids teach rear end awarenss. I usually use them to teach collection , extension and take off points. Good to know. Diana

Sara said...

Diana,
I think it might be more the opposite...if they have rear end awareness, they do better with the jump grids.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Oreo is doing great, in my opinion. How far apart do you put the jumps? We've never tried a jump grid (not sure why not).

Sara said...

Ricky,

They are 3 feet apart, and the bar height is very low.

Dawn said...

Nice job Oreo! See?! That mean ole' lady teacher person doesn't know squat!

new hip dad said...

she may know squat but does not know a lot about teaching. sara could teach her about teaching.

AC said...

See, you know the right environment that lets Oreo do his thing! Can't give any pointers, but will say GO TEAM OREO!!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Thanks - we'll have to try it. Are Oreo and I about the same height? I measured 14". The 3 feet apart changes with the size of the dog, right?

Sara said...

That should be about right Ricky. Dogs that usually jump 8-12 inches were doing the 3 feet apart grid.

madcobug said...

Looked like he was doing really good to me. He knew what his back legs were supposed to do. Helen

Kathy said...

I just wonder if the grid should be a little further apart to start with and then moved closer, it just seemed sort of close with some pretty severe collection and encouraging Oreo to jump a little flat, I bet that is why he was dropping the bars especially on the first few jumps as he was trying to get into the rhythum, but I am no jump expert-it has been a long time since I attended any jump classes, so maybe that is what they wanted. Like when you look at him landing and taking off he has to compress his little body a lot to make that spot his landing and launching point. It looks hard to jump nicely for a dog his size, which is why I guess they practice them. Seeing it in slow mo you can really see how hard he is working on something that you would just throw some jumps out there and think it was a no brainer type of thing, guess the dogs would say, hey mom we told you it is harder then it looks ;-). Good job Oreo!

Sara said...

That's a good idea to stretch them out a bit Kathy. I definitely didn't want to over do it, because I could tell he was getting tired after just a few passes. His brain & body had to work.

The instructor's dog had a hard time with the exercise. She was jumping over the last two jumps at the same time! Superdog. Or plowing thru a bunch. It is definitely not an easy line of jumps.