Tuesday, August 10, 2010

tricky t-day ~ get a tissue

OK, we've watched in awe as three of our dog friends, Honey, Ricky and Marge, have demonstrated their ability to get a tissue out of a box. I've tried this with Oreo in the past, but all he would do is rip tiny pieces off the tissue hanging out of the box.

Well, I couldn't allow ourselves to be shown up by three other dogs, OK 4, because I know I've seen one of Lian's dogs do it too.

Out came the tissue box on Sunday.

Well, wouldn't you know? Oreo caught on real quick this time. He does have a competitive side.

Oreo was so excited to be working on a trick with an object. We haven't done that in awhile, and Oreo really enjoys training me to click him for doing cool stuff.

We still need to perfect this, but here is what we've accomplished in two sessions. Hopefully, in a few weeks, Oreo will take a tissue from the box, bring it to me, and then throw it away (remember I taught him that trick awhile ago). Ambitious? Yep.

For now, here's your weekly entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSxhXtB1GY

Oh yea, that stuff we had for FREE at the end of our driveway caused a traffic jam! We had two cars pulled over with people out milling about. Jeff had me get up off the couch, just in case they started to brawl over our fabulous stuff.

No brawl. Guess they worked it out amongst themselves.

15 comments:

Kathy said...

ALL RIGHT Oreo, you guys are all ready for when you have your next cold or allergy attack, or perhaps just the next sad movie ;-), hopefully not soon, but you will have a tissue getter,.....LOL. It looked like Misty wanted to try her hand or just get where the treats were???

Priscilla said...

I love this trick!!
Now as Kathy said, all we need is your next cold attack to put Oreo into good use! LOL

Diana said...

Oreo learned quickly. LOl he used up all the tissues. Smart boy! Diana

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Awesome!!! Welcome to the tissue trick club! (actually Marie did it with Dare too - so that's 5 dogs and now Oreo too!) Oreo is just too cute and smart - I just love him! I like to paw at the kleenex box too and Oreo kind of spits out the tissue like I do but he is much more tolerant of the feeling in his mouth than I am. Now I need to start working on that trick again - you have inspired us!

How is it possible that it is Tuesday again already? Why are the weeks flying by so fast?

Sara said...

Thanks Ricky. I forgot Dare! Sorry Marie!

Rob said...

Hi Sara, it could be useful to have Oreo around next time you have a cold.

madcobug said...

He is learning that real quick. Looked like Misty wanted to get in on it. Helen

andrea said...

very cute :)

'de Boys' - Brutus and Tytus said...

Great Job -- Oreo! Au, Au, Au CHUUUuuu: Thank you for the tissue!

Who was the one being so patient -- good job to you for waiting your turn. We aren't that patient, but you have inspired us to try hard.

'de Boys' - Brutus and Tytus said...

We should have read a little more post before we asked who was so patient. MISTY you did so good at waiting your turn while OREO learned the tissue trick.

Dawn said...

Ahhhhhhh -CHOOOOO! Good job Oreo! You learned that really fast!!!

Sam said...

Ah, I just love this trick, and he picked up on it SO quickly. Nice job! I think you'll reach your goal of putting the whole thing together in no time.

AC said...

Love Oreo's box swat! It's so fun to watch him learn/try to get his treat. Too funny that he did it so well when you weren't looking!

Marie said...

Hehe, you don't have to apologize to Dare and I! You're silly. Oreo is doing great. I love how he added a little paw action to hold the box down while he pulls the kleenex out. It's always fun to see how each dog puts their own spin on the tricks. :-)

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh wow - Oreo - congratulations! And you did the trick properly too - not like me, bringing the box instead (although if you had a slobbery mouth like mine, your human would probably prefer my version too! :-) )

Such a dainty little box! Ha! And I llike the way you've added a little 'hold-the-box-with-your-paw' too! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane