Wednesday, August 25, 2010

more on Misty

My post on Misty was rushed last night before I went to bed, here is some more info.

In June, Misty was showing symptoms of a bladder infection, but her culture came back normal. However, her protein level was high. She was lethargic, and having intermittent diarrhea. So, we ran blood work, which showed some elevated levels. My vet put her on antibiotics and suggested an ultrasound to figure out what was going on with Misty.

I scheduled one, but canceled it. We were going on vacation that week, and I didn't want to get bad news before we left.

Then, Misty improved. I decided to live in blissful denial. Always a fun option.

This past weekend, the symptoms returned. That's when I decided it was time to schedule the ultrasound and keep the appointment.

She did test positive for a bladder infection this time.

The results of the ultrasound indicate she has no cancer, no tumors, and all her organs look OK. The only thing that is not perfect are her kidneys, which have "loss of detail", which is probably due to aging.

The ultrasound doctor said her protein level (0.6) is a little high, but OK for now, and we will re- test again in late September for a change.

My vet will do a new urinalysis two days before Misty comes off the antibiotics to test for bacteria levels.

So, there you have it.

Misty is doing much better this morning.

And so am I!

For whatever reason, Misty may be more susceptible to bladder infections, so I will have to be cautious from now on. I'll make sure when we go places (agility events) that she lies on my mats, rather than the grass and dirt.

Thanks everyone for your kind words last night. You all stay up later than I do (OK, some of you are in different time zones, but still)!

12 comments:

Priscilla said...

Lol, yes, we are in different time zones!! :D

Bladder infections just means she has to take some medicine right?
Anyway, I'm so glad she has no tumors and she's healthy on the inside!

I'm glad both of you are better now!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like you got very good news! Guess I should've stayed up later to get the good news before going to bed! :)

I am very relieved for you and Misty, Sara! Have a wonderful day today - worry free!

Jules said...

Yay! I am so glad that's all it is. I know UTIs aren't comfortable but it is treatable!

madcobug said...

I am so glad that she is feeling better. Hopefully these meds will get her fixed right up. Helen

Nicki said...

Yeah!!!!!!!! I totally feel your relief! Having an older dog can be so stressful and scary.

LauraK said...

I'm so happy for you- such wonderful news. Bladder infections get to be such a pain- we dealt with them for 3+ months with Penny before we figured out what her problem was. I'm happy to say that she's still doing well on the Piroxicam and the antibiotics. Hopefully our happy, beautiful 12 year old girlies can live many more years without any problems. Yeah for Misty!

Marie said...

That's really good news. I'm glad you are already seeing her feeling better!

AC said...

Such good news to read this morning!! I'm glad you both are doing better. I know I'm a mess if anything is wrong with Kona. It's always a relief to get that good news.

Kathy said...

My friend has a husky mix that is VERY prone to bladder infections and they have cut them down to almost nothing by just wiping her off in the evening with a baby wipe, front to back, and I would think they use non scented natural baby wipes and they use some cranberry power urinary support supplement stuff that I have always added to female puppies food too. Poor Misty, UTI are not fun. I am glad that is all it was though.... You know I LOVE Misty, so I am so glad she is basically OK

Sara said...

Kathy,
I ordered some cranberry powder this morning. And I do keep baby wipes by our back door. I'll use them more often on Misty.

Dawn said...

WHew! I'm so happy at this news. What a relief for you! (and us, cause we love her too!)

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh, I'm so sorry I missed all this abotu Misty! Glad there was no scary bad news, though. There are some humans that are also more prone to bladder infections so I guess dogs are no different!

Hsin-Yi