Tuesday, July 13, 2010

tricky t-day ~ moonwalk

You got a sneak peek of our Michael Jackson inspired moonwalk trick last week (I am a teenager of the 80's). I was hoping to improve on it a bit this week, but that didn't really happen!

I tried to moonwalk along side Oreo, but he did not like my moves at all! Obviously, the dog does not recognize talent. Maybe if I had had on my white jazz shoes he would have been more impressed? Hard to moonwalk in bare feet.


So, this will be a trick in progress as I try and get Oreo to dance with me, and for him to go further back without need of a reward.


This trick sort of evolved naturally. Initially, I had Oreo lay down and was luring him back with a treat. This resulted in thoroughly pissing Oreo off. Plan B.... I simply started saying our back up command, "scoot", and clicked for any movement backward. Oreo caught on really fast through shaping.

Oreo always prefers to teach himself the tricks, rather than me telling him how to do the trick. Ask him, and I am a stupid human with no rhythm.

14 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

That trick is awesome!! I absolutely love it! Oreo is amazing! I thought your moonwalking was great too - mom would be tripping all over herself!

Thanks for explaining how you taught Oreo to moonwalk. We'll keep trying!

And thanks for the great way to start the day!

LauraK said...

You two are BOTH great moonwalkers :) what a fun trick!

Dawn said...

I'd think it would be counter-intuitive for a dog to move AWAY from a treat! LOL

I loved him watching YOU moonwalk, then try the cross paws just in case that got him something!

Kathy said...

wow, what a smart guy to figure out you wanted him to do a whole new thing backward. Amazing he figured that out, he is good. That looks like a really good trick for building up physically, crawling forward is supposed to be really good so backward has to do a lot of good things too.

Sam said...

That's so cute! And, when he didn't understand, he offered behaviors, too. What a good boy.

I can't wait to see the finished product! Your moonwalk is awesome, too!

betty said...

The three of you are so, so cute.
Misty is a riot!

Diana said...

LOL, great trick!! Diana

Honey the Great Dane said...

Wow - never mind Oreo - YOUR moonwalk is fantastic!!! :-)

This is one trick I love but just can't teach Honey - due to her deep chest and long legs and general giant breed anatomy (and I think at her age now, it might be mean) - I have trouble even getting her to crawl fowards on her stomach cos her deep chest is much lower than the rest of her - she has to stick her bum in the air! Doesn't look good so I gave up. But I've seen friends with more agile/smaller dogs doing this trick and it always looks so cool! :-)

Way to go, Oreo!

Hsin-Yi

AC said...

Way too fun! Now you need to teach Oreo the Thriller "arms" and you could make an MJ music video!

Helen said...

Great trick!! All of my agility friends say I need to use "shaping" more. Oreo reminds me of my first bi-black Gryffon. Oreo was also one of the names that made the short list before I decided on Ceilidh. And well Beckett, he's not much of an Oreo, not much white at all.

Helen said...

Great trick!! All of my agility friends say I need to use "shaping" more. Oreo reminds me of my first bi-black Gryffon. Oreo was also one of the names that made the short list before I decided on Ceilidh. And well Beckett, he's not much of an Oreo, not much white at all.

Abby and Aiden said...

Love it! You did that with the music Oreo!

Marie said...

Well, I'm no professional but I thought Oreo's moonwalk looked great!

Gerry said...

I think this is such a cute dog moon walk and girl moonwalk, too! I must get my son Raymond over here who is teaching Baby to turn a somersault in the hose spray. (He was a gymnast)
to see this Moonwalk!